Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
2 spot damsel fish
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris530
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.19(Sat)15:51    Post subject: 2 spot damsel fish Reply with quote

I have 3 damsels 1yellow tail, a 2 spot and a 3 stripe, all was good until this morning and his left eye seems to be popping out and is red around the sides, he is the alpha male to speak, (biggest and fastest) I asked a friend and he thinks its a parasite,? I'm unsure and don't want to really flush him unless I have to, any help or comments would help.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.19(Sat)18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long has the tank be setup? did you cycle using the damels? is the tank still cycling? what are your tanks ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte and pH levels? what is the specific gravity or salinity of the water? tank size? we need info! please remember to post info!

andrew
2 winged demons
chris530
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.20(Sun)9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK tank size is a 40gal, the tank has been up and running for about 5 weeks with fish in it for 4 weeks, I have used a additive in it four 2 weeks that supplys benifical bacteria growth my reading for testing include, high pH 8.4, nitrate is 5.0ppm, nitrite is 0ppm and ammonia is 0ppm I have been putting the Melafix in the tank daily it says its for popeye, I kinda assumed thats what it is??? I have only had minimal experiance with the tanks but have been reading and learing about them for over a year so I have book but no practical experiance.
chris530
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.20(Sun)9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycled using damsels but this particular one I have only had for 9 days the damsels that I used are growing buy the day, I still have all my original fish
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.20(Sun)19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

cycling with damsels is cruel. basicaly they live in toxic conditions. the ones you used to cycle your tank are now perminatly damaged. its a common begginer mistake one which even I made so don't feel bad. most of the bacteria stuff is a waste of money the only decent one I ever heard of was bio spira and I can't even remember if thats for marines. not sure what to do about the pop eye. in the freshwater forums they have the desiese and disaster post with pics. acording to that freshwater popeye is commonly due to stress and poor water conditions. maybe some one else can help you. but in the mean time I recomend posting your problem on the forums at www.reefcentral.com . you will get a quick response and a good one.

andrew
2 winged demons
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.02.20(Sun)20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things that must be addressed with your tank:

1. You are cycling your tank with fish. These fish, as said above, are living in toxic conditions. Expect casualities, and as you are seeing thus far, they don't die right off. There is a marine form of Bio-Spira on the market, or was. If you can't get a hold of some, find someone with an established marine tank, and take some biofilm from their filter.

2. That is a lot of damsels. These guys are pugnacious little suckers, and they are exceedingly territorial. Yes, three small fish don't seem like much in a 40 gallon tank, but most damsels naturally have territories larger than your tank's footprint. For more info about why damsels are not the best beginner fish, do a Google search on "damsel's revenge." It's quite funny, in a a way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.20(Sun)22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

do everthing tartron says shes quite knowledgable. one thing that will happen to your fish that were there during the cycle is that there gills would have been damaged. I lost all the original damsels I cycled my first tank with one night when the algae had built up so much that it sucked the majority of the oxygen out of the tank. the survivors were the tommato clown added 2-3 weeks during the cycle and the goby added after the cycle.

andrew
2 winged demons
chris530
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.20(Sun)22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long does it normally take to cycle? and the damsels that were used to cycle the tank are fine its a new one I added about 4 weeks after the tanks was setup. That has the eye problem
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

a cycle usually takes 6 weeks maybe more so he still probably had to live through a high level of nitrites. what is your water change rutien?

andrew
2 winged demons
chris530
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using filtered water now and it seems I'm getting about 2 weeks out of the tanks,so far I have reallybeen just testing about every 3 days and if I incounter a problem thats when I change, but it seems like its been about 2 weeks or so between changes
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: