Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My First Pond! Need Help picking fishes!
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mobern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.17(Thu)19:23    Post subject: My First Pond! Need Help picking fishes! Reply with quote

I have a 100 gallon pond thats new and has no fish yet.

I was wondering what types of fish I could put in this pond with as much variety in the fish as possible (I don't want all comet goldfish, for example.) How many fish could fit in a 100 gallon pond?

Also, do ponds need to be cycled and what types of plants or decorations might I be able to add to make my huge tub of water look prettier?

All comments will be appreciated,
Mobern
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.18(Fri)13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mobern,

Quote:
I was wondering what types of fish I could put in this pond with as much variety in the fish as possible (I don't want all comet goldfish, for example.) How many fish could fit in a 100 gallon pond?

Comets come many different colors and are very hardy and a great garden pond fish. You may also consider Shubunkins, which are about the same size as comets. If you have a mild climate you good also have some of the fancy goldfish (fan tails and such), But no kio...... about 5-6 fish.

Quote:
Also, do ponds need to be cycled and what types of plants or decorations might I be able to add to make my huge tub of water look prettier?

Yes a pond will cycle, I added some powder bacteria to mine and put fish in after two days, as I said comets are very hardy fish. It is very important for you to plant the pond, it fact I would probably do this first before the fish go in. For best results you should cover about 65% of the surface of the pond. I have two plastic ponds, a waterfall spilling into one and then that pond spills into the other one. I have a water lily in each pond and some water hyiancths (not spelled correctly I'm sure) for floating plants, along with some anacharis planted in small plastic pots with gravel in them sitting on the floor. There is many different marginal, or bog plants that you can plant around the edges in pots, I found a lot of them in the wet ditches on the sides of the roads. You may also consider getting some bricks and building some shetters for the fish to hide under in case you have predators ( I lost 12 comets in one night to Racoons).

Here's a few of my pets
Mark

Last edited by mark 45 on 2005.02.18(Fri)15:30; edited 1 time in total
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.18(Fri)14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know..you may start out with different types of goldies, but as they breed, you'll have many more "common" type survive. So if you're particular, you might try removing the young ones each year and adding new fancier types.
Mobern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.18(Fri)17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll plan on getting 3 Shubunkins and 2 Comets to start and I'll get plenty of plants. Thank you for that help.

Are there any exotic animals I could add to the pond as well (such as newts, frogs, snails, shrimp, crawfish)? or smaller, hardy fish that would add an accent to the pond (such as White Clouds or Cory Catfish)?

Thank you!
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.19(Sat)8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll plan on getting 3 Shubunkins and 2 Comets to start

These are good choices,

Quote:
Are there any exotic animals I could add to the pond as well (such as newts, frogs, snails, shrimp, crawfish)? or smaller, hardy fish that would add an accent to the pond (such as White Clouds or Cory Catfish)

You do not have to worry about adding frogs (they will show up by themselves) as well as snails. I would not do the shrimp or crawfish. The white clouds and cory will depend on your climate, but I would say probabably not. If you get the pond planted well and you have your comets and shubunkins you will have a nice garden pond with plenty of life, remember if you have floating plants like water lettuce or hyancyths the fish will breed and then you'll have lots of little ones swimming around.

Mark
Mobern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.19(Sat)16:18    Post subject: Change of plans.. Reply with quote

I'm thinking of setting my 100 gallon aside and getting a 200 gallon pond. We're making plans about making a circular pond made of stone with a foot around the edge of the pond to sit. The pond would be above ground and have vertical sides, no slopes. Its 5' in diameter and 1.5' deep. I'm wondering if it would work to upgrade to 6 Shubunkins and 4 Comets. Would this affect the types of frogs I could introduce to my pond? I don't have many wild frogs around where I live so I think to have them in my pond, I'd have to introduce them myself. What kind of frogs are completely aquatic and do well in ponds, if any? Also, I'm still looking at newts or White Clouds as an additon, can't find much info on compatibility with pond fish. Thank you for your help.
Mobern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.20(Sun)20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody???
Still looking for answers... please help...

Mobern
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to build a garden pond then I would recommend building as big as you can, that way you will be able to have a couple of different types of water lilies. Some types of lilies can grow up to 10 feet in diameter. I regret not making a larger pond setup, I have a 120 gallon pond that spills over into a 160 gallon pond and have had as many as 10 fish in each pond. I like the ponds much better with only 5 fish in each, remember comets and shubukins can grow quite large. I live next to a salt water canal and the bay and have never seen any frogs around my house, several months after I setup my pond I had two or three spotted pond frogs sitting on the lily pads, then frog eggs, then tadpoles which the comets ate. You did not say if you planned on making shelves on the sides for marginal plants. Your plan sound nice but I would try to make the center part a little deeper and then have shallower shelves around the sides and back for marginals, also do not forget to give the fish some kind of shelter from birds and other predators. I assume this pond will be outside. You might want to pick up a book on building garden ponds, I bought a nice one at home depot. As far as other fish go I would think gold fish, comets, and shubunkins would be compatable with many other fishes as long as they are a cold water fish and not to aggressive. As I said before ponds will attract all kinds of birds, bugs snails, frogs and what ever else is attracted to water. I really think you will be happy with the comets and shubukins they can become quite tame and will take food from your hands, mine will actually swim into my hand.
Mark
Plums
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be helpful if you put your location up mobern to have some idea of the local wildlife. As for frogs, toads and newts, the adults will be fine with your fish but any tadpoles will be snapped up as a tasty treat. If you want your amphibians to breed happily then fish are really a no-no. Also having the pond above ground and with vertical sides sets up a bit of an obstacle course for your local amphibians to get in and out. I'd suggest you concentrate on fish for this pond and try making a second fishless pond for frogs, toads and newts if you can. It wouldn't need to be very big at all. If possible give it a nice slope or use steps from more or less ground level at the shallow end to 1' or more at the deep end. The shallow slope gives you some great opportunities for different kinds of plants, from lilies at the deep end to marsh plants like mosses, sundews, venus fly traps and so on at the shallow end. The one I had had lots of carniverous plants and was a happy home to frogs and greater crested newts. If you do try newts, canadian pondweed (?) as it used to be called here has very good leaves for the newts to lay their eggs on.
Mobern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.22(Tue)21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Southern California... few amphibians come around here.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: