Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
LPS ticking me off!!
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishiesRPeopleToo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.16(Wed)14:35    Post subject: LPS ticking me off!! Reply with quote

I am getting sort of ticked off with one of the ladies at my LPS. Its my moms friend, and I sort of think that she thinks she knows it all. She gets kinda irritated with me when I ask questions(back when I first got my new tank I asked her about a filter I had sitting around from years ago). Now, usually she is really nice to me, but the other day she really ticked me off.

The other day I was in there picking up a gourami and I was getting a gravel cleaner and an algae scrubber. I picked out my gourami and went to get my scrubber and cleaner, and had forgotten to ask what I should feed my gourami. I couldnt find the guy from the fish dept so I was looking around for him and ended up finding my moms friend(she works in the fish dept too). I asked her what I should feed my fishy besides flakes and she said "nothing else, they like flakes". So I said okay and I was about to walk away when she said, "You shouldnt be cleaning your tank yet!!"(she saw the cleaner and scrubber in my hand) When I asked why she said "you shouldnt clean it for 4 weeks after youre done cyclling or even doing waterchanges!" I told her I had been doing waterchanges all along and she said I was wrong in doing that. She said I should only be adding water when it evaporates. I said "Oookay" and walked away, and promptly went and paid for all my stuff, including the gravel cleaner and scrubber. I have told her a couple times that my tank is really dirty with brown algae and she gave me no tips so the best way to get rid of it is to clean it, I think!!

Was she right or wrong?? I mean how else am I supposed to clean off the algae? Lick it off???

~^..^~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Francheska
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.02.16(Wed)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, please don
none
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.16(Wed)15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I hate to say it, but the Pet store lady was right on this one. Sounds to me like she assumes you're still in cycling, which you DON"T want to remove any of the beneficial bacteria. The brown algae is actually a collection of your beneficial bacteria, it's finally binding together, sounds like to me anyways. Now there is a time when too much of it in your tank will keep your Nitrates too high, but you can't be there yet at only 4 weeks.
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.16(Wed)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an intersting thread. The real answer depends on what the pet lady thinks about your level of knowledge as a fishkeeeper. If she thinks that you are ONLY using her as a source of advice, then I definately think she has every right to express her opinion, asked or not. Certainly, if something goes wrong, you will be at the LFS and asking of her time to help you. It looks to me like she is being proactive in an attempt to help you prevent a "mistake" as she sees it.

Which brings up the 2nd issue. You would be very wrong to assume your pet lady will be correct with everything she tells you. IF you do EVERYTHING that she tells you, then you will certainly be successful, because she clearly is capable of maintaining an aquarium. But you can do a lot of things wrong, or a lot of things unnecessary, and still have a successful tank.

For the record, I never let algae grow on my glass. Not even when cycling. The impact on the bacteria does exist, but in my experience almost insignificant. Cool
FishiesRPeopleToo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.16(Wed)18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first of all, she knows that I'm done cycling because she was the one that tested my water and told me I was done and sold me harlequin rasboras.

I had a really bad outbreak of the algae about a week ago, it was all over my gravel, rocks, plants, and glass and since I have vacuumed, it has been very scarce. My nitrates were really high, so that goes to show that I had too much.

I havent really been using her advice when I have a problem, mostly because of her attitude. I normally come on here when I have a problem, it doesn't seem worth it to me to ask her what I should do when she only gets exasperated with me. I'm no fish expert by any means but she is there to answer questions, not get upset. One time I asked her about an old filter that I had. I was describing the parts that it had with it, and she asked if it had a wheel. I asked her what she was talking about, and she said all snottily, "Nevermind! If it had a wheel you would know it!" I mean come on, how was I to know what it was supposed to look like?? (Well I know what a wheel looks like, but I didn't know if it was supposed to be big or small).

How do I know for sure she is successful in keeping an aquarium?? She is not the "main" fish lady, and I don't think she has any tanks at home. I think my tank is going just fine, I just don't want my fishies to see yucky brown algae all over their tank(although I think my gourami has been picking at it).

I think I would feel better about her if she would have a different approach, instead of getting all exasperated at me when I ask a question, and tell me some techniques that maybe have worked for her.

~^..^~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
none
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.16(Wed)21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you know more than you give yourself credit for. If you know your Nitrates are high, like you said you did, do what you have to do to lower them (change part of the water, it's all normal procedure). If your tank is obviously abundant with algae, get rid of it if you feel you need to. Is your tank exposed to a lot of sunlight? If so, maybe get an algae eater or two to keep the growth down, if they'll fit into the community of the tank.
weird22person
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.22(Tue)13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

she was right and wrong. messing with the gravel can hurt the bactria but the main source of bacteria should be in your filter. she was almost completely wrong on changing the water, as long as there are fish to create more ammonia as soon as they release their byproducts of being feed(yes poop) Laughing your cycle will continue. since you said the cycle is completed that means nitrates are building up you should be changing water to remove this. about the algae, get an algae eater fish. if you are lucky to find one buy a siamese algae eater, if you can't buy an otto or a bushy nose pleco. all of these fish stay small so they won't bother your rasboras. just don't even think about geting a chinese algae eater (sometimes sold as simply "algae eater") or a common pleco, both of them get to be monsters which out grow the tank and get aggresive. just remember that when you get them they may consume all the algae and be left without food. to prevent this get some sinking algae pellets. your new algae eating fish will enjoy the new food and the gouramis will appreciate a snack to nible on. when you get the new fish don't remove the algae yourself.
-sorry about the rambling reply Embarassed
-4 Albino Corydoras
-3 Dwarf Gouramis
-1 Mystery Snail
marto
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.24(Thu)0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that problem with my bro. he complains that I fiddle around with the tank (cheacking pH everyweek, scrubbing the algae off the sides, changing the water every 2 weeks) cause I had 2 fish die within 3 day of buying them.

I hit him on the head & I told him not cleaning a fish tank would be like putting him in acid water
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: