Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Acclimation Process
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.27(Sun)18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvrnugh wrote:

3. Can we rule out POISONING, either ORGANIC as in Sea Apple/cucumbers, or CHEMICAL as in metals hidden inside your live rock, a rusty piece of equipment above the tank slowly dripping, possible external issues such as bug spray, aeresols etc.? Yes, I have none Very Happy

I would only offer that you not overlook the possibility of poising of the fish prior to arrival at the LFS. Poisoning can have a long term effect, with possibile damage to internal organs which you would not see from observation. Cyanide use in the collection process can especially be a problem. There can also be issues with fish being brought to the surface to quickly in the collection process. Some things are just out of your control and are best avoided by finding a supplier or LFS which specializes in the marine hobby and by only purchasing fish which are tried and true in the hobby. Just some thoughts on your comments, may or may not be what caused your problems.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.01(Tue)17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, your reply is a little confusing, it appears you either:
1.- lost ALL the fish in your tank, or
2.- you still have a clown and tang which are doing well, and you are only losing new arrivals.
At any rate, hope those new ones do better for you, if not let me know;
it could be you are reaching the natural limit of your system, this happens some time, due to limitations of the filtration, turnover rate, hiding places, etc. These and other limitations can reduce the number of fish your system will support; you can always keep adding more fish, but sometimes when new arrivals start dying it's simply a sign your bio load is out of balance.
Marine aquarists should develop a stocking list/plan early on, and stick to it. That way you willl avoid impulse buying and end up with the fish you really want and still have a healthy tank.
nvrnugh
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.03(Thu)7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap I still have the clown and tang and have lost all others. Until the ones I got a few weekends ago... the royal gramma and goby are doing well (from a new LFS I found) and the damsel (where I got most others) is gone. Shocked

I am going to stop adding any fish as one I am preping for corals and two if it is the bio load I don't want to bring perfectly beautys in my home to die.

Thanks to all for you help Razz
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: