Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
www.drsfostersmith.com review
 Forum Index > Ads and Links  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.15(Tue)15:18    Post subject: www.drsfostersmith.com review Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience w/ this site as their prices seem quite good (for flourite), and I was thinking of ordering from them...

thanks in advance!

matt (tvi)
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.15(Tue)15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good experiences with them each time I've ordered. (incidentally went for the flourite as well). The only complaint I have is their order turn around time seems kind of slow (a couple of days to ship). I'd imagine this only applies to dry goods, though.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered from a few online stores. Doctor Foster and Smith along with Petsolutions are the two most reliable I've seen. Usually http://www.petsolutions.com has better prices than Foster and Smith you might want to compare there first.
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good experiences with them. I really like their website and I've had good experiences with their customer service department when I was being a "problem" customer. Once I accidently gave them an out of date CC number and once I returned driftwood just because it was the most boring and ugly shape imaginable and both times they were very nice on the phone and allowed me to switch between web and phone help seamlessly (a lot of companies don't have all those kinks ironed out.) As a bonus, I think they're based in Wisconsin so their accents are very fun and make me laugh. Of course, I'm sure they're saying the same about mine.

The cons I've experienced are slow shipment turn around as already mentioned and a lot of times the boxes are beaten the heck up...but I suspect that has more to do with the carrier. Although I"m not so sure they always use new boxes since theirs seem to arrive more ragged than any other online company I deal with. I continue to shop with confidence, however, because I'm sure they'd fix any problems with damaged goods given my customer service experiences.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the imput guys and gals! I appreciate it...

Cyradia... how long does an order take to get to you? (I live in GA, so I imagine it'd be roughly the same number of days... I'm assuming a ground shipment...)

also, if I ordered 4 bags of flourite or eco-complete (from pet solutions), do they charge shipping per bag or per order?

thanks again!
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, I seem to remember it varying a lot. Sometimes they get it right out and it shows up in 3 days. Most of the time it seems it takes 7-10 from the day I place the order.
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.09(Wed)21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eco-Complete is a lot cheaper than flourite at aquariumplants.com

they sell around 9.** each.

Jeff
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.10(Thu)7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, I noticed this as well, and it comes in 20lbs bags as opposed to the 15lbs bags like the flourite at FosterSmith... anyway, my wife and I are buying a house and in the interest of saving a couple hundred bucks, I'm going to do an african cichlid tank instead of a high tech planted tank...

I'll save a good bit of money not having to buy a co2 cannister, extra lighting, regulator, extra substrate... the list goes on... Smile
marktman
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had good experiences with Foster and Smith. I ordered the wrong thing, called them two minutes later and they said too bad. I said, "all I am going to do is send this back so why not cancel it now". Two hours and many phone calls later, they finally cancelled the order. I then reordered and they got it wrong!! Too many places out there to go through this sort of thing.
BowserFins
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)22:24    Post subject: ..... Reply with quote

Nothin but good news here for DRS. Foster and smith.... Like someone mentioned, sometimes it takes 1-2 full days before they ship(maybe depends on what you ordered??) But their prices are liveable, their customer service is %100 satisfaction no questions asked( I know first hand having broke a versa top 2 days after receiving... They have replaced it for free, and didn't care how it broke, as long as you send them the broken part...) I live in illinois and usually get the product within 48 hrs. of being shiiped from wisconsin.....
 Forum Index > Ads and Links All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: