Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
20 Long
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taram42

PostPosted: 2003.02.19(Wed)21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 young orandas (about 2" each) in my 20g long, with a 60g (heavily overfiltered on purpose) HOB filter. They are doing quite well, and probably will for several more years.

I think they'll "outgrow it" at about 4 inches, and then I'll need a 55g or bigger. As they grow, I'll probably be switching to an "undecorated" tank with floating plants instead of the gravel/plastic plants that fit in with them now to allow for the extra 2 inches,
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.02.20(Thu)21:51    Post subject: I would think this would be OK Reply with quote

After all, you aren't looking a fin development UP like you are with an angel.
Athena'sWake
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.04(Tue)15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearlscales arent usually short finned.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.05(Wed)17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is that fin development in an angelfish is upward and down, the fins need to grow straight and upright...so with angelfish you need a deep tank.
But a goldfish's fins are long and draping...so depth of the tank is not as much of an issue.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.03.06(Thu)7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my understanding that most golds get around 10 inches long. Doesn't that mean one goldfish in a ten gallon would be stunted? What about one goldie in a 20 long? Stunted too, I think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.06(Thu)17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no hard and fast answer here. Water quality, not tank size, is the issue. IN THEORY if the water was kept clean, a goldfish would grow to full potential.
Sometimes there is a tendancy to get fanatical about these things, and say "Well, the fish would be much happier in a 500 gallon tank with constant filtration that did 100 percent water changes every day with water the exact temperature, pH and so on and so forth...
These things are all relative. Would a goldfish whose POSSIBLE potential is 10 inches in length be stunted in a 10 gallon? Maybe NOT if the 10 gallon was kept really clean, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it.
I cannot justify telling someone that a 20 gallon tank is not big enough for one goldfish on the basis that someday it may reach 10 inches in length....
If they care for a fish that well and that long, I'm sure they'll do thier best by it when that time comes.
kaoschan
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.19(Wed)21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd add my recent (and we're just talking a few weeks ago...) experience. I have a black moor and a shubunkin that I was keeping in a 15 gal running on a Fluval 204. Each one is about 4-5" now (they were less than 1" when I first got them), and while amazingly the water quality stayed fine, the tank became a disaster because I was constantly fighting cloudy water from algae blooms.

They are now in a 65 gal. tank and much happier--my shubunkin even stopped pacing the tank. And I do think you should get another goldfish if you can get a bigger tank--mine are inseparable.

PostPosted: 2003.05.02(Fri)13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept 3 fancies in a ten gallon, and they did fine. Water quality was kept good, they were fed as per instructions, so they did not over grow the tank. I moved them outside, where one is still alive and well, and has grown because of the bigger area.
tylere

PostPosted: 2003.05.09(Fri)13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a 20 gallon is more then a enough room for just one fish. my friends parents have had a gold fish for like 7 years in a 29 gallon and it is about 7 inchs long and like 5 round it is huge its bigger then any pond gold fish I've ever seen
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: