Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
fish at walmart
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Ads and Links  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbtalt6 wrote:
I disagree with SLACkra and Syno, and I'm suprised that they would answer the way they have.

SLACkra you are the first to jump on someone when they exhibit signs of being a "Fish Haver" rather than a "Fish Keeper". I would think you would be the first to recommend buying fish from WalMart so that the fish can be bought and put into a healthy tank and not live their life in misery in a WalMart tank. Doesn't that make more sense??

Buying Walmart fish means that you are supporting Walmarts getting of more fish. If we don't do anything about it big businesses will rule and small LFS and other small stores will slip away into oblivion. Whatever animals/frozen food and many items are bought from one or two reputable LFS in my area that know their stuff. One is quite large and has been up for at least 60 years. While this particular shop doesn't seem to have too much trouble competing with normal chains,I'd like it, and other LFS, to stay.
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

but we can't just label all big chains/non specialty stores either. I shop at Petland Superstore and they are by far the best for quality in freshwater fish and plants and the staff do know their stuff for the most part. its more of a don't support operations that are of lesser quality. Support the stores that take good care of their fish, and have the knowledgeable staff. I'm sure there are Walmarts out there that are better than some mom and pop shops...support whoever is the best in your area...just my $.02
Doosharm
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with @-McP. The LFS around here is one of the worst stores to buy fish from. Most of the workers are high school students that know nothing about most of the animals in the store. There is a really good LFS that is kind of far away but worth the extra driving time. However, when I can't get out there my next choice is the local Wal-Mart. They take very good care of the fish there, much better than the local LFS. The workers even know more about the fish at Wal-Mart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
disagree with SLACkra and Syno, and I'm suprised that they would answer the way they have.

SLACkra you are the first to jump on someone when they exhibit signs of being a "Fish Haver" rather than a "Fish Keeper". I would think you would be the first to recommend buying fish from WalMart so that the fish can be bought and put into a healthy tank and not live their life in misery in a WalMart tank. Doesn't that make more sense??

OK jbtalt the reason you don't do this is so that they don't make any money from selling fish. if they don't make any money from it they will eventually stop selling them. so instead of just saving a couple fish lives I think it would be better to save a damn lot of fish lives. buy buying from there you are giving them the idea that selling fish is profitable so they buy more and keep them in terrible conditions(depending on store). the only walmart that I ever went to when I lived in vancouver had terrible fish conditions and workers who knew squat! but some I guess are good! try testing the employees and check on fish health before purchase. if the fish are healthy and tank conditons good go for it suport the good branches of walmart. if the employees no nothing about fish then complain!

my 2 cents

andrew

EDIT: sorry I didn't read nonames post just instantly replied when I read jbtalts post.
2 winged demons
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.14(Mon)5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add on to noname's post, whose advice would you trust?

(A) A shop assistant who for all you know has been working at walmart for a week, and has little, or no knowledge of fish,

OR (B) a guy who is the owner of a fish store which has been open for a considerable amount of time, with a good reputation, and who has been keeping fish for years.

I know who I would trust.

I live in the UK, so we don't have Walmart, but we do have Asda, which is owned by Walmart. However Asda don't stock fish, or any live animals, and I don't ever think they will do. I understand what people are saying about buying fish from big stores, we have Pets At Home, over here, but the difference is the people at Pets At Home are expected to know about the animals they sell, because it's a pets store. Walmart is a department store isn't it?
Besides I've been in Pets At Home, and bought fish, because I did what Slackra suggested, I ask questions, and the guy who was in charge of the aquarium section certainly knew his stuff, so the next time I bought a fish.

At the end of the day I feel that the buck stops at pet stores, and that and an aquatics shop are the only places you should buy your fish from. I don't think department stores should sell fish, or any live animal, because like I said before, the vast majority of staff who work in places like Walmart aren't experienced enough, or don't have the knowledge to give advice on how to keep fish. The only thing they are trained to do is to sell the fish, and catch them, and thats it.

That my opinion anyway.
dale
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.15(Tue)21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey nick000000,
In regards to your Question.. Walmart has great tuna and pink salmon, but I prefer the chum myself. Wink Sometimes they have sardines mislabelled as kippers also for a heck of a good price, Those guys Laughing Laughing Laughing

(I've wanted to say that for so long...)
Doosharm
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.18(Fri)10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(A) A shop assistant who for all you know has been working at walmart for a week, and has little, or no knowledge of fish,

OR (B) a guy who is the owner of a fish store which has been open for a considerable amount of time, with a good reputation, and who has been keeping fish for years.

I personally have seen great fish departments in large department stores, large chain pet stores, and small LFSs. However, I have also seen some of the worst in all three areas as well. It all comes down to who is running the department/shop and whether they care more about the animals or the money. You will find uneducated workers at both large chains and small stores. I don't think it is ever OK to just lump small LFSs into the 'OK' category and large chain stores into the 'Avoid' category. Each location is a different experience. The Wal-Marts in my area are quite good and I would recommend them to friends, however, they may be the worst stores in your area. Likewise, the local fish shop is terrible and I would recommend it to nobody while your LFS may be the best thing to ever happen to the fish hobby. It all comes down to this: If the store is good, shop there, if it is bad, avoid the place, regardless of whether it is a chain or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LoveTigerOscars
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the early 90's a new walmart opened up in the town I lived in. I went to the fish section and saw that they had a very large red oranda marked as 4.99. It was a 7 inch big boy!! I snapped it up quick! It was easily a $30 fish at a LFS. The sales person had no idea what the value of the fish was. The tank wasnt even marked with the correct name. DEAL for me!
 Forum Index > Ads and Links All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: