Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY Co2 problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greta b
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.12(Sat)21:17    Post subject: DIY Co2 problems Reply with quote

OK,
Got my soda bottle, added the recipe from the article ( 1.5 l water, 2-3 cups sugar, tsp yeast, 1/2 tsp soda) and I've got almost NO bubbles 4 hours later... I just bought brand new yeast too! HElp?
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.12(Sat)21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have tweaked the basic recipe quite a bit recently and have found that smaller amounts work better. May I suggest another approach?

First, you must make sure the system has no leaks. The weakest point is the airline tubing at the soda bottle lid. Using silicon sealer does a poor job of sealing the plastic. For best results simply drill a hole slightly smaller than the airline tubing, then cut the airline tubing at a 45 degree angle. Push the angled end of the tubing through the small hole and using needle nose pliers pull the tubing through the hole. This makes a self sealing connection with no need for sealant and will never be a source of leaks.

Adjust your recipe as follows:

Take one cup of tepid water (very warm to the touch but not hot) and add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of bakers yeast...not bread machine yeast. Stir the yeast into the water and set aside.

Next, take the 2 liter soda bottle fill with 1 to 2 cups of sugar. Now add hot water to the 1/3 point of the bottle. Cap with an undrilled soda bottle lid and shake to dissolve most of the sugar. Fill with cold water to the 2/3 point of the bottle and again cap and invert a few times to mix the hot and cold water. Next pour the "activated" cup of yeast water into the bottle, cap and invert a time or two. Take to your aquarium and place the drilled cap with airline on and you should be getting CO2 production with 45 minutes to an hour. This recipe usually lasts about 2 weeks, you can add other "food" halfway through the cycle to help extend the life of the brew.
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.12(Sat)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve!!
I'll try the "new and improved version" and let you know how I make out...
greta b
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrggghh Evil or Very Mad Still no bubbles!! The new recipe calls for NO baking soda, correct?
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

the leak could be somewhere else in the system? how are you diffusing the co2?
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

greta b wrote:
Arrggghh Evil or Very Mad Still no bubbles!! The new recipe calls for NO baking soda, correct?

You should add baking soda depending on your starting KH...but all baking soda does is prolong the CO2 production in poorly buffered water, it has little effect on starting the production...other than maybe delaying the start a bit.

If you have a 5 gal bucket, fill it with water and submerge your 2 liter soda bottle into the bucket and watch for bubbles escaping from where your leak is coming from...there's really only two places that can leak, where the airline tubing enters the cap and the seal of the cap itself. It you have no leaks then your yeast is the problem. When you activate the yeast in the tepid water it should begin to form bubbles if the yeast is alive. Those are the only two problems you can have with this system not producing gas (CO2)...leaking or dead yeast. In rare cases a bacterial growth in the bottle will imped fermentation but I've never heard of it happening with a never before used bottle, it happens usually after long term bottle use. So, first insure that the cap isn't leaking by testing in a bucket filled with water. Then, check the yeast by going to the store and purchasing a new packet of Fleischmann's Yeast and try that again.

And, like rijac, I'd like to hear how you are diffusing the CO2 into your tank.

In small tanks I send the gas into AquaClear filters. Here's some pictures of how I set those up.

I use a airline connector to make the bubble smaller that exists the airline.

And then simply push the connector into the siphon grate. A more permanent solution is to drill a hole in the siphon tube and add a sprinkler system emitter that you can attach the airline tubing to.

This does create some noise as the bubbles enter the impeller and get chopped up...if the noise is objectionable you can use a CO2 bubble ladder for a small aquarium or a power reactor for a large aquarium.
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF I ever get bubbles going Rolling Eyes I plan to use an airstone... but as this is completely new to me I am open to suggestions!
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

greta b wrote:
IF I ever get bubbles going Rolling Eyes I plan to use an airstone... but as this is completely new to me I am open to suggestions!

Another problem that I rarely remember to mention...placement of the soda bottle. Placing the bottle on the floor increases the amount of pressure buildup needed in the bottle to force the gas up and out...similar to head pressure. For the best and quickest results, use as short of a run of airline tubing as possible and place the soda bottle in line with or even slightly above the aquarium. If you currently have it on the floor, pick it up and hold it on level with the tank, being careful not to squeeze the bottle and force yeast water into the airline, and see if after a few minutes you get some bubbling action.

Regarding using an airstone. It's a very poor way to get Co2 to dissolve into your water. The CO2 bubbles need longer contact time to allow the CO2 to dissolve. What kind of filter are you using?
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a tank "setup" that came with a whisper 60 elite.

In your picure you show your Co2 going right into the filter intake... that would be easy enough to do.

I added a bit more yeast because nothing was happening. My sister owns a bakery so I will go over an get fresh yeast from her-- she says I'll get much better results than the dried yeast.

I moved the bottle to a stool next to the tank and shortened my hose. I did have it on the floor. I can feel a little bit of air coming out of the tube, but not enough to make bubbles in the water.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

greta b wrote:
My sister owns a bakery

I would be 400 lbs. if my sister owned a bakery. You do know how lucky you are don't't you? Wink

Sounds like you are getting closer to success. Keep up updated with the new yeast.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: