Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Anybody ever kept chickens as "pets" not livestock
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.11(Fri)2:51    Post subject: Anybody ever kept chickens as "pets" not livestock Reply with quote

well this week in bio class we did our first minor project. the chicken project. we were testing to see if following people is an inate or learned behavior. anyway we got 2 "test subjects" per 2 people. one we played with and the other we ignored. the one we payed attention to bonded to me quickly (the top 50% of me took it a while to follow me if it coudl see the entire of me.) anyway I took it home today! hes realy cool black and white. I am keeping him for maybe a week then hes going to my horticulture/permiculture teacher.(great person) anyway its lots of fun to walk around the back yard with a small creature running after you like a mini dinosour! so dose anybody actually keep chickens as pets? I will try to get my dad to upload a pic of it onto my comp some time soon,

andrew
2 winged demons
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.11(Fri)10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother in law keeps chickens on his property to take care of bugs. They are working pets because they are extrmely friendly and we can ptet them and play with them, but they have a job to do as well.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.11(Fri)16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep well really young chickens like the great explorer space man spiff(anybody else here read calvin and hobbes?). anyway very interesting for him is that when I put him into the bigger cage he wouldn't stop making noise! I had to put him back into his box whcih he has called home for the past 5 days. also attempting to sleep last night was an adventure of its own. I had to calm him down ect. basically now I exerice him/she. I just got him to quiet down so I am going to go have some breakfast

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
esoteric
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.11(Fri)19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss keeps chickens and a rooster as pets. They lay so many eggs that he has to push them on the employees!
greta b
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.11(Fri)20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep chickens! In my first batch of chicks from the hatchery I had several that imprinted on me-- one of the hens will still let me pick her up. Eventually our chickens all end up in the coop, so I suppose they are both livestock and pets! We name them and do not eat them-- Unfortunatly there is a fox nearby who loves chicken dinner. I have lost several to him/her over the years.

A single chick will feel quite lonesome which is why he peeps so much. Just make sure he is warm enough.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.12(Sat)0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

hes warm enough. and I don't think he gets to lonesome. he queits down a bit and I hold him ect. eventually when it goes to my horticulture teacher it will be with other chickens but at the moment it prefers humans! anybody know how to sex chicks? I know that for lovebirds you check how wide some bones are near their buttom and if its wide its a girl because teh females need the room to pop eggs out.

andrew
2 winged demons
greta b
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.12(Sat)6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to sex chicks-- I hear it is quite difficult. Most hatcheries have "professional sexers" because it is so difficult to determine. If you google " sexing chicks" you will get tons of links!

A really fun website is feathersite.com. Great photos, links and info. Warning! Chickens are fascinating and fun to keep!! AS you have already discovered... Laughing

It sounds like your chick is happy and healthy! Well done.. have fun! Wink
Mr. Coffee
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.12(Sat)9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister keeps ducks as pets. They are incredibly tame and can even go in her house without crapping all over the floor as others do. She once even put a collar and leash on one and let it walk/fly in front of her when she was out shopping.

Tres etrange.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sad to say that I am not going to be sad to see him go to a new home. hes noisy demanding ect. I think I am going to be quite happy with just me my birds and my fish, and the family dog. at least I am not afriad the dog will eat my birds! I am quite happy being afraid that my birds will attack my dog Laughing !

andrew
2 winged demons
greta b
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.14(Mon)6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a reason chickens are barnyard animals. Dirty and noisy! Razz

Darn cute when first hatched, but quickly become very poor roomates... Wink
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: