Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Most obnoxious post
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.09(Wed)22:32    Post subject: Most obnoxious post Reply with quote

So, I never chat here and probably don't' know many of you that well...but. I post on 2 other forums regularly. Neither one of them is fish-related. And somebody said something so rude to me today, that for the first time in years, it bothered me. The short version is, she posted something about homeless guys not being allowed in library's, because they scare her. I posted back that I thought she ought to re-read her post, it sounded rather heartless. I said "I'm sure you didn't mean it that way".
I got this back "Spiders creep me out. Sanctimonious and Cowardly women who hide behind saying they are sure I didn't' mean it creep me out. Homeless people scare me".
I was astonished. I thought I was nice, and was poining out something she hadn't realized.
So, what's the most outrageous comment you've ever gotten..on another board. I know some of you only post here, but that's asking for a problem, so make it other boards, please, and no names.
mame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

there will always be those kind of people, those insensitive,
arrogant pretencious people that troll around on forums,
I hope you didn't take it personally from that person.
it doesn't sound like to me that should be anybody to
get upset about, obviously shes some kind of misunderstood
and close-minded person without any experience in dealing with
adversity.

as for my own experiences, I have dealt with many immature and
obscene language over some forums, but chalk that up to a
younger age of people mostly.

the worst I have heard from a forum is racism...
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

SherryNE wrote:
Sanctimonious and Cowardly women who hide behind saying they are sure I didn't' mean it creep me out. Homeless people scare me".

ROFLMAO! I haven't laughed that hard in days... you are a sweetie Sherry. Becasue you are genuine, there is no way you deserved that.

mame wrote:
there will always be those kind of people, those insensitive,
arrogant pretencious people that troll around on forums,
Who me? LOL
Its spelled "pretentious" by the way, and if you were just a little more like me you'd know that.... TOTALLY KIDDING! Laughing

Just recently I yelled at someone and closed with "when dead fish are excused because they died of sadness instead of admiting some degree of culpability... well, lets just say it irks me."
No foul language... but more disdain than the person probably deserved!
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, really disheartening. Sorry to hear about that. My gut instinct would have been to attack back by telling her that she was missing the point and power of libraries and that she was in fact the coward, but that just ussually goes nowhere.

I frequent some political boards where things get like that really often. I can't tell you how many times I've been accused of being a pinko because I'm a registered democrat, gay because I happened to be raised in vermont, and unpatriotic or stupid because I don't just embrace what the media or the government says in a wrote sense.

Ultimately, while sometimes it gets pretty hurtful, I just try to keep in mind that some folks are just nasty in general, and it typically is compensation for some deeper internal issue(s). Also, it seems that lots of folks just don't understand that debating or discussing a topic should speak to the facets of the topic at hand. They would rather take it to a personal level than concede that there is a remote chance they are either out of their league or wrong.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I learned long ago, on this very board, to let it all just roll off. She just caught be my surprise, as I developed the art of usually managing to make my point without giving any excuse for rudeness.
I just wondered if anybody had any particular comments that stand out...so we could all have a good laugh. Probably most of them wouldnt' be appropriate on this board anyway! LOL.

BTW, I sent her a reply saying that I was sorry she was offended, but that I was cracking up at anyone who was afraid of spiders and homeless people would call me cowardly. LOL. REALLY!
GothicAvatar96
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.11(Fri)9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW benedict I thought I was the only one ! LOL I never thought id hear anyone quote me so accurately. People always call me a pinko comy with less right to live in this country than a poo covered shoe. .. I'm a registered democrat, my best friends are gay, I strongly support social programs, SS,medicaide, medicare, financial aide. etc etc . Anyways what political forums do you frequent ? We can be just like James Carville and Paul Begala a fighting liberal duo and crush the heartless greedy capitalistic pigs!!! .... uhh oh a tad off topic ? lol sorry Sherry but I wouldnt get upset over what that woman said . Just go out and do something you like to do it will make ya feel better Smile
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.11(Fri)13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey I'm scared of spiders! Shocked lol ya I'm by no means liberal but with a certain debate going on I've also been called a comy pinko...youd think people would find a new name to throw around Wink
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.11(Fri)13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

a quick reminder to avoid political discussions and certain inflammatory phrases please.

Lets keep this to the topic- have you been beaten up, or beaten someone else up and avoid certain details if you can. Thanks in advance!
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
cindywindy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.11(Fri)18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the rude comment, Sherry. I agree with Discus Man, you're as nice and can be and I can't imagine anyone with any sense in their head thinking anything less.

A couple of years ago I was an Administrator on a fish-related website that was busy at all times of the day and night. One of our regular members decided late one night to "come out of the closet" in our "off topic" forum. I've been around the forum circuit long enough to see these kinds of things so it meant absolutely nothing to me but I deleted the thread anyway because I didn't feel a fish forum was the appropriate place for such a personal announcement. He then proceeded to post all over the entire forum that because I deleted the thread I was a homophobe and that I had "issues" with homosexuals because I didn't give him his "platform". Anyone who knows me knows that I am one of the most liberal-minded people on the planet ... probably to a fault. Rolling Eyes

I have literally seen it all on the forum circuit, and have been called every name in the book at one time or another ... twice. We deal with the public doing what we're doing, it comes with the territory. You're doing the right thing by letting it roll off, Sherry. You were true to yourself by speaking to something you believe in, never compromise that ... it's what makes you, YOU, sister.
www.tropicalresources.net
White Lightning
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another board, where my user name is Hair GEL (GEL= my initials) some guy said "Hare gel, you post to %$#@!^& and your posts never say anything meaningful. go shove your damn gel up your @$$." I didn't even know the guy, and his profile said it was his first post ever on the site. Then like 8 people went back to him, saying "If you don't even know him and you're being this rude to him, at least have the decency to spell his name right."

This is all copy-paste since this only happened yesterday.
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: