Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Future tank project...
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greta b
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.09(Wed)15:15    Post subject: Future tank project... Reply with quote

We took my daughter to buy two pet rats today and had a hard time choosing a cage. I convinced my daughter to buy the lovely 15 gallon glass aquarium Wink for the rats now ( they are babies) and when they get a bit bigger we'll buy them a rat palace! ( one of those 3 story cages with all kinds of gadgets)

So in a couple of months I'll have a nice little tank to play with when the rats move into the palace...scheming mom Cool
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.02.09(Wed)15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you put plenty of shelves in the tank for the rats to climb on. Glass tanks lead to a lack of ventilation and air circulation, causing respiratory problems in young ratties - especially from the ammonia in the urine! The younger the rat, the more sensitve the respiratory tract.
Hardly a worry at the moment, but they can also get heatstroke really easily when kept in glass tanks. I'd get some fish in there quick Wink

What have you called them?
greta b
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.09(Wed)16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who'd of thought I'd get great rat advice on my favorite fish forum!? Laughing

Our house is quite chilly ( big old New England farmhouse) so I figure the tank will be OK for a few more weeks. I am a real stickler about cage cleaning, who wants to smell rat tinkle?

Their names are Daisy ( white w/ red eyes) and Roxy ( black w/ white feet, tummy). They are sisters.

We plan to hit the bigger petstore this weekend and if we find the rat palace we are looking for ( it is a lovely big 3 story setup designed for ferrets with loads of climbing spots and toys) I amy be cycling by monday! Wink

Any other good tips? Do you keep rats?
dale
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.09(Wed)20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi greta b,
I have kept rats twice.
If you want the rat to bond to you ( they become very tame and docile ) keep only one. It will then seek your attention. If you keep two or more, they will bond to each other and be more reserved around you. It depends on how much time you want to spend with them and if you want to handle them.
Good luck,
Very Happy
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats are EXTREMELY underrated as pets - they get a bad press and are absolutely fantastic little things! If the cage is clean you shouldn't have a problem. I haven't kept rats myself, but work with all creatures great and small Wink
The rat palace sounds great - a ratty paradise! Good luck with them xxx
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.11(Fri)2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres my 2 cents about the whole taming bit. when I volunteered at the vancouver aquarium they had 2 pet rats. they were going to be snake food but they were saved anyways they crave attention and theres 2 of them. but as said above the amount of time you handle them will contribute to how tame they get. these two were hilarious. you stick your hand in and instantly your a boardwalk for 2 fuzzy friends. lol. best of luck with your rats,

andrew
2 winged demons
greta b
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.11(Fri)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are loving Roxy and Daisy! Daisy is more shy and I was afraid she would be harder to tame-- but just the opposite, she is happy to snuggle in my daughter's pocket.
If I ever figure out how to work my digital camera I'll post pics!
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: