Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Non goldfish pond options
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheORKINMan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.04(Fri)15:29    Post subject: Non goldfish pond options Reply with quote

I'm going to be building a pond in my backyard and I was just wondering if there are any other ways of stocking a pond besides goldfish. I live in North Florida so the winter here is very shot, spring, summer, and fall is tropical warmth but we do have a few weeks a year of night time temps around 30 degrees.

Are there any other stocking options for my climate or are goldfish about it?
klbrz
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.05(Sat)13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2-250g ponds/aquariums in my open air gazebo.One has african cichlids.molly's platies and gouramies.The other has c.a. cichlids.I live in the Bahamas but we do have some cold nights. I have seen no adverse affects. Smile
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being in Florida you have lots of native fish available. Wild type mollies swim in the ditches and you may also see golden topminnows and pygmy livebearers. You live in a state that happens to boast a wealth of fish and I think that those would be best for your pond as opposed to exotics.

I hear that in Florida a small permit of sorts(quite cheap) is required for a backyard pond but isn't often enforced.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: