Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Will these fish be friends or enemies??
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bumble_bee
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.03(Thu)14:23    Post subject: Will these fish be friends or enemies?? Reply with quote

I am curious to know what you guys would think of these fish in the same tank.

1 male flame dwarf gourami
2 bumble bee gobys (I love them too much so I don't want to take them back to the shop even though they are a brackish water fish)
3 albino cory cats (relatively small at the moment)
2 otos
x zebra danios

I'm not sure on how many danios I should get and whether these fish will work in my 34L tank

Thankyou Very Happy
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.03(Thu)14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you love the gobies, why not provide a brackish environment for them? They will not live long in a freshwater community setup. I would recommend that you remove the gobies. Why not try a brackish setup for them in a small tank?

If you remove the gobies, I would recommend doing the otos OR the cory cats (not both), and 6 danios with your gourami.

~Haname
bumble_bee
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.03(Thu)14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well another member on this site suggested I get 3 corys and 2 otos.

I just found out this week that I have brown algae and I don't really know what to do but wherever I see it I just wipe it off and it doesn't come back in that area.
I have the 1cm pebble things and it was growing on them aswell so I took them out and rinsed them in hot water and that seemed to get rid of it.
And then because I like took all the gravel out I then rearranged my tank abit and thats kind of stirred my gourami up a bit because of the new surroundings so he is letting the other fish know where his territory is. lol hes a little Twisted Evil.

And I currently have 2 fake plants in my tank and have been thinking about getting maybe a java fern. Would this take much looking after?
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.03(Thu)15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reccommended the otos and cory's.

I think having both is good, as they clean seperate things. The corys will eat left over food and such, while the otos will eat algae.

The gobies would do a lot better in a brackish tank, although I have heard that some freshwater gobies are available.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.03(Thu)17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown algae is normal in new tanks, and sometimes it will go away on its own.

In my experience, otos love to eat flake, bloodworm, and other food that falls to the bottom. They are omnivores, not just algae eaters. They also adore the brown algae, so if you do plan to get the otos, don't bother cleaning the brown algae. They'll clean it up overnight.

Of course you can get otos and corys, but if you do that you will need to reduce the number of danios. We only have 34L to work with here. Danios do best in a school of at least 6, so that is why I recommended 6 of them and either the corys or the otos but not both. If you want a bottom scavenger/algae eater, the otos are a better choice. If you want the cory because you love the cory, then get them.

As far as algae control, otos are good for some types of algae but not every kind that your tank will get, so keep that in mind when making your decision. Otos are also heavier on the bioload than cory cats are. My preference would still be the otos because of their versatility, and pollywog-ish cuteness (but corys are very cute too).

~Haname
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: