Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Future Inhabitants
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.02(Wed)10:39    Post subject: Future Inhabitants Reply with quote

Since all except my starfish and a couple of snails were killed by the clam's toxins, I decided to go around to a few sites and decided on which fish I could add to the tank in a couple of months. I was at a site called vividaquariums.com and I was just looking around in the tang section because I knew that I couldn't leave my tank tangless because I absolutely loved my Yellow Tang. I wanted to try another type of tang. I wanted to go after the subspecies "Acanthurus." I know that they are the harder tangs to take care of but I really want to see what people consider hard since I have never had a hard to take care of fish before. While I was there, I saw the Powder Blue which I knew I couldn't take care of, I saw the Powder Brown which I didn't think was too appealing, the Achilles Tang which I thought would not only be hard to take care of but also a bit dark for the tank. Then I saw a Tang called a Gold Rim Tang and I thought he was a neat looking fish with different colors compared to other tangs. The only thing with this guy is that I have never seen him before at my lfs. I've seen a few of the fish mentioned above but never the Gold Rim Tang. My question is has anyone ever had any experience with these fish before? If so, can you tell me a bit about them?

Other than him, I was planning on adding a mated pair of True Percula Clownfish, a mated pair of Banggai Cardinalfish, and I am debating between a Six Line Wrasse and a Purple Firefish. Are these six or seven fish going to be compatible together? I give everyone permission to eliminate some of the fish they don't think will do well with the other fish.

By the way, just in case I have to mention it again, the tank is 75 gallons or 300 litres. Since the clam incident, the water parameters are still the same as they were before (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia are zero, p.H. is 8.3, salinity level is 1.024).

Also, before I add the fish, I am planning on turning the tank into a reef. I'm just planning on adding the soft corals, not the hard corals.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.02(Wed)16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't already have one, your next investment in the hobby needs to be a 10 - 20 gal quarantine system with small, permanent bioload.
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.02(Wed)17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already got a 10 gallon quarantine. So can someone please tell me about their experiences with a Gold Rim Tang and also whether the fish I mentioned would be compatible together?
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK now I've decided that I'm not getting the Six Line Wrasse and that I will get the Purple Firefish. I know this is a pointless post but I'm still waiting for people to write back about the Whitecheek Tang or Gold Rim Tang or whatever you want to call him.
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.18(Fri)19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my mind again. Now I'm not getting the Purple Firefish. Now again I'm debating between two "hard to keep" fish. I still want to see what makes a fish hard to take care of according to other people. Now I'm debating between a Green Mandarinfish and a Copperband Butterfly. I want to make my tank a reef so I'm not 100% sure about the butterfly since they're known to be low risk, even thought the Copperband's supposed to be good in reef tanks. Everywhere site I go to I read that the only things they will eat in the reef tank are the fanworms. I'm not too worried about those things.

I've decided invertebrate wise what I wanted and also coral wise. If I were to get the Butterfly I just want to make sure he won't eat my invertebrates and again I still want information on the Whitecheek Tang. Invertebrate wise I was thinking of One or Two Cleaner Shrimp, five Emerald Crabs, one Green Brittlestar, and two Red Fromia Starfish. Coral Wise I was just thinking of some soft corals like leather coral and finger coral and also a green star polyp.

Again, I repeat, ANY eliminations could be done and ALL stories you all have.

So fish wise, I'm sticking with the Whitecheek Tang, the two cardinals and clowns, and now possibly a mandarin or butterfly. Again, I know the mandarin and butterfly are supposed to be really hard to take care of but I like to find these things out for myself.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.18(Fri)21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

a stocking list of:

2 x true percula
2 x bangia cardinals
1-2 x purple fire fish

should be fine just make sure all, and I mean all possibly excape points have been eliminated! also with the mandarin fish wait a while for your pod population to build up then add it and it should love its little slice of ocean. I friend of mine added a copperbanded to there tank to deal with nucience anemones it worked well but then it looked at the corals. also at the vancouver aquariums the copper banded butterfly was kept in a coralless tank. I have no idea about the tang though. the two cleaner shrimp should be fine not sure about the emeralds or brittle star or the other starfish. if your getting coral get a leather! I love mine. looks really cool when he extends his polyps!

andrew
2 winged demons
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.18(Fri)22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to worry, I'm getting the leather coral. I don't really want the Firefish anymore though. I don't know why, I just wanted to try something different and I've already had one. I loved him but I want to try something new. Also, I really want the tang and I really need one in my tank, I can't leave my tank tangless. I don't care if I get a different type of tang but a Tang is a must.

The mandarin I wasn't planning on getting right away. I was going to wait for a pod population like you suggested. Also, I have seen so many Copperband Butterflies in reef tanks. You have no idea how many I see swimming around in a reef tank without picking at a single thing. Some of them aren't in great condition and I just see them in the back corner of the tank but I'm not planning on getting one like that. I recently saw a little one that was eating and was swimming around normally in a reef with some shrimps and stars and it wasn't bugging anybody. In the mean time, I asked the lfs to reserve him for me. I wanted everyone's impact on them before I got him. Again, don't forget, I like a challenge.
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that not every fish has the same personality. Some triggerfish are extremely aggressive while I can keep my clown trigger with cleaner shrimp. Same thing for the Butterflies, I've had some that attacked corals and I've seen some ignore them. You shou ldn't keep the Goldrim tang though because they get fairly large. You need a 120 Gallon for those. If you're looking into the acanthurids, try convict tangs. They are incredibly docile, cheap, easy to care for, and nicely patterned. I have a powder blue and if you're looking for the challenge, try to get a healthy specimen that's already eating and not just algae and spirulina. Try to find one that eats everything. Powder Blue is my personal favorite but they demand optimal water quality. They are pricey so make sure you have all the tank completely ready. One more thing, Powder blues do not tolerate other tangs whatsoever.
10 Gallon Planted
1 Chinchilla 1 German Shepherd
Assorted Reptile Species
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you have a clown trigger in with your shrimp?
How long have they been together?
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.12(Tue)14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little over 15 months. Amazing huh? Well I heard a friend of mine say it might work but it was really risky. I took the risk anyway. What I did was put the cleaner shrimp in first, then I put the trigger in. What's amazing is I also have a Large Volitan Lionfish, Australian Dottyback, the Clown trigger, and 2 small snowflakes in there too for 15 months also. All my friends who come over always wonder about it. I wanted to put a puffer in, but he had an eye out for the shrimp so I pulled him out. At the time, it was an experiment so I only put one shrimp in. I regret not putting more in. Now if I try to put new ones in, they try to eat it. He's the only invert in that tank.
10 Gallon Planted
1 Chinchilla 1 German Shepherd
Assorted Reptile Species
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: