Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fish should only be sold in PetShops!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heatherh
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.05(Sat)9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing that absolutely disgust me is the treatment of bettas, however to add on the fair idea we have this annual festival that comes to our town and every year they have this stupid goldfish game where you throw a ping pong ball into a glass if you get it in you get a goldfish yep thats right a goldfish in a "gold fish bowl" honestly the bowl they give you is the same size as the decorative bowl we keep our cotton balls in and if you get a ball in on the top you get a betta now the thing that really gets me going is if you get say 3 balls in they give you three goldfish in this tiny little bowl I didn't stick around too see what would happen if someone got two balls in on the top!!! and the walmart at the city next to us has a wallmart that has cleaner tanks then the big chain store however at the wallmart there way over stocked ne ways justwanted to add in
Guppylover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.08(Tue)7:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all pets store are that bad, even though some are I just tend to ignore them and tell many of my friends and their parents to ignore them as well. We have a really small pet store close by our house, its run by a family and they look after freshwater fish, bettas and cichlids.

They only have a couple of fish in each tank so the fish have plenty of space to swim around. There is even two small breeding tanks next to the counter were you can spot a few dozen swordtail fry. The bettas are just kept in really small containers but all the fish are very well taken care of and the owners dosn't let and child even touch the glass of the aquarium.

I just wanted to say there arn't just bad pet stores which keep fish, I can name a few other stores which have their fish under good care.
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.08(Tue)7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guppylover: We aren't really saying that all petstores are bad. Usually the small, family owned ones are wonderful. Its just the big chain stores that tend to be just in it for the money, and not as well kept, in general.[/I]
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.08(Tue)11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

benedictj wrote:

Also, there are a myriad of other issues which lead folks here not to care about their jobs. Generally, pet shops here offer abysmally low rates of pay, not nearly enough to support some one who is passionate and smart enough to care about what they are doing. Therefore, you get the crappy service and the poor conditions.

I worked in pet shops, locally owned mom & pop stores, for 15 years. I made sure that I knew what I was talking about, made sure that the animals were well cared for, and made sure that anyone who came into a store where I was working could instantly see that there was a reason to come back to the store over and over again. Since I had access to the books I have no doubts about the fact that in the stores where I worked I was responsible for most of the profits the company made, I take great pride that I was even able to turn a couple of stores around and prevent them from closing their doors.

I loved pretty much everything about working for these companies and would probably still be managing a pet shop or fish store today if I didn't have to pay my bills. I left the pet industry 4 years ago and at the time I left I was making $8.00 an hour, the most I had ever made in the pet industry. Anyone who works long term in a pet shop (not counting the big chains, I have no experience with them) does it because they love it, not because they are in it for the money. Most of the people who are smart enough to do a good job in the pet industry are more than smart enough to make double the money in any number of other jobs.

Sadly I think things are getting worse for the employees of your LFS, not better. Competition from big chain stores, on-line retailers, ect. is causing the owners of many pet shops to cut costs anywhere they can, and labor is always going to be one of the things cut.
Mr. Coffee
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.12(Sat)8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worse, I think fish store employees are just plain stupider than they used to be. Sad

I had a summer job during university at a locally-owned fish store that was very nice except for it's tetra and other characins, which were in horribly poor condition.

It was pretty much accepted that I was the most knowledgeable employee for freshwater there, and any tank decisions in that section would need my approval, kind of. Except the tetra.

One day after work, I met the tetra keeper. I was staring at an abysmal tank of blue flame tetras that were swimming around slowly at the very bottom of the tank. Then a short man in his late 30's who I presumed to be the tetra keeper (who hadn't been in in two weeks) pointed at a tank of starved serpaes where many were dead on the gravel, and said "Hey, these are tetras too! Aren't they beautiful?" I was so disgusted by him that I walked out of the store.

Three days later, he caught me explaining something rather rudely to a customer who wanted to keep saltwater fish with freshwater, and since he was married to my direct boss, got me fired. As I walked out, he said "There goes the freshwater king, turned a jester."

Last I heard, he is working at the pet section in Wal-Mart up in Bathurst. Rolling Eyes
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: