Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10g Nano Reef Diary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harlock
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.07(Mon)7:01    Post subject: Anenomes & Lighting... Reply with quote

I've cut back on feeding. After the large RBTA spit out its second feeding of fish (after a day of digesting it) I decided that the anenome shouldn't get fed for another week. It seems to have just finished this major poop cycle, and I'm going to wait a few more days before I give it some more food. The maroon clown seems to be helping it along as well.

The lighting is probably the biggest problem right now. I found out that it's a 15watt 20k bulb. I have it running for about 10hours a day, mostly because I know that the wattage is low (trying to make up for low wattage?). I plan on checking out some of the nano-reef equipment sites for better lights. Do you have any suggestions on lighting, SLACKra?
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.07(Mon)11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Coralife's Power compact lights. They are not terribly expensive and very good for a nano tank such as yours.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.07(Mon)19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I live in australia we are a big behind in the whole technolongy bit to do with marine aquaria. normaly a 10g is 18" long from what remember. so maybe 2 36watt pc fluoros? that would keep the anemeons very very happy!

andrew
2 winged demons
harlock
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.08(Tue)7:01    Post subject: New Developments Reply with quote

Yesterday morning I decided to raise the bubble amounts on the skimmer. By the time I got home in the afternoon, there was a collecting waste product forming in the naughty foam holder. It was brownish, like I had imagined it to be. I'm glad to see it's doing something already.

I also noticed that there is a algae beginning to grow on some of the LR. I think it is time for a cleaner shrimp. Any recommendations would be appreaciated. I wanted this small fire shrimp (maybe 1" big) that the LFS had, but they wanted like $32 for it!!! I'm not too savvy with marine prices yet, but I'm pretty sure that THAT price was way high.

Oh, and I believe there is what is called 'bubble algae' growing on another LR. Long green stem with lots of clear green bubbly-bits on it? It was always on the one LR I bought, and I kinda liked the way it looked, but now it's growing, very very small on another LR. Is this bad???

Everything else seems to be good! Anenomes... check. Fish... check. Water chemistry... check. The nitrates were recorded at about 10 yesterday, but its been dipping between 5-10 pretty regularly. Water change this week! Yay!
harlock
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)7:07    Post subject: New additions, and some losses Reply with quote

Algae has begun to build up; that dark tan kind. So, it was time for a clean up crew. The guy at the LFS recommended a bunch of different kinds, but in the end I decided on 5 bumblebee snails. Very colorful, and useful.

I also picked up some new frozen food... Formula 1. Definately more healthy for the fish, and the anenomes than brine shrimp. I gave a small bit to the little RBTA, and it LOVED it. This little guy is really beginning to get big too. THe large anenome had some trouble because the maroon clown just kept on nipping at the food, and made it hard for the anenome to grab it. I'm trying to keep in mind that the clowns do tend to take care of their 'homes' so I'm sure it some something.

THe damsel is on its way out. I think it brushed up against a LR and injured itself. Scales were missing, and a infection has developed. It's sad, but in a way I'm glad, because I really just wanted the tank to be a clown or two.

Everything else is great!
harlock
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)18:10    Post subject: 10g nano update Reply with quote

Hello all...

SlackRa reminded me that I should be a bit more vigilant in updating my 10g nano journal.

The LR has developed these interesting white tube things, about 2 cm tall. In all there are about 20 of these things growing in there.

My wife discovered these bug-like critters that scurry about. You rarely see them, and they're REAL small, but they're there, and fast.

My large RBTA died, but the little one is still hanging on.

We have a maroon clown that is awsome. It hides a whole bunch, but home is home I suppose. It' likes it in the rocks.

We got a peppermint shrimp and 5 bumblebee snails to help with the algae cleanup. They don't so much except look good. We really need to get a turbo snail. I cut WAY back on lighting (only 2 hours now), and the algae is dying off.

Oh! There's a clam on one of the pieces of LR! It is now over three months, and the thing is STILL alive! It catches pieces of the flake food that the clown eats. It's so cool to watch!

Away way... there's the update!

harlock

-----------------

10g sw nano, 21lbs LR, 1 maroon clown, 5 BBsnails, 1 pep shrimp, 1 small RBTA, assorted live sea life
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My wife discovered these bug-like critters that scurry about. You rarely see them, and they're REAL small, but they're there, and fast.

fun with pods. my tank was full of them but then I cut down on feeding my fish and made sure they were the only things getting the food. now I don't see them very often and I only have very small bristleworms.

Quote:
We have a maroon clown that is awsome. It hides a whole bunch, but home is home I suppose. It' likes it in the rocks.

maroons really get to big for a 10g aquarium. maybe its time to start thinking of upgrading to a 20-30g preferably a 30g to allow your maroon some space to swim.

andrew
2 winged demons
harlock
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.14(Thu)9:38    Post subject: Cruisin' Clams Reply with quote

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

The spikey clam that was living under the lip of one the live rocks has moved! After scanning the tank for a few minutes, I finally found it nestled in a hole in the same LR it was on. It moved a good 4 inches in total I suspect. I hope it has moved to a spot where it believes it will do better!

harlock
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.14(Thu)10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you upgraded the lighting on the tank yet? I've read that anenome's love the light, it's should be around 4wpg, though some will argue that it needs to be around 6wpg... just curious...
robbyrob
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.14(Thu)22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the updates man.. Reading this I beleive I will make my 10 gal a nano reef too!!!!!

Rob
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: