Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Wouldn't you know it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)14:56    Post subject: Wouldn't you know it? Reply with quote

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I, for one, am not appreciative. This isn't the first website to bite one (and possibly more) photos from me, but it's the first to do so from another language that I've discovered thus far:

http://www.israquarium.co.il/Fish/LatinIndex/LIndexP.html

The image of the Congo tetras is mine, without a doubt. I've sent a message to the webmaster to remove the image but can only hope that s/he reads English and obliges. My message was as follows:

Quote:
Dear Sir/Madam:

Please remove my image of the Congo tetra, Phenacogrammus interruptus, and any other images on your website you may have taken from my own without my permission. I will examine the other pages to ensure that there aren't any more images that I own. As I do not wish to undertake legal action if it can be avoided, I sincerely hope you will cooperate with my request within the next week.

Thank you for your timely attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Tula Top

If anybody knows what language the website is in and might be able to translate this for me so that I can re-send it to the webmaster in his/her native tongue, I'd really, really appreciate it. Thanks! (I'll post a message in the Multi-Lingual Room regarding this post.)

Irked,

2la Confused

PS Dammit, the automatic spell checker is changing the ".I-l/" portion of the URL to ".I'll", assuming that I've made some kind of typo. Please copy and paste the erroneous URL into your address bar and replace the ".I'll" part with ".I-l" with both letters UNcapitalized and without the dash in between them (which is placed there only to keep the auto spell check from changing it to "I'll". Thanks.

Double Confused'ed
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people. Razz While it's hardly the same thing, I remember a few years back that I wrote some short story deal, and somewhat forgot about it, when I get this horrendously long, misspelled email from someone who apparently liked the story. Well, that's good, every writer has an audience. What was not good was this person deciding to take the story, alter it a bit, and add the most terrible sequel known to mankind. Said person then posted the sequel on his web page, and wanted me, as the author of the original, to make some lovely post about how appreciative I was that someone basically ripped me off.

It didn't end well. 2la, if worse comes to worse, I'm sure someone on this board is within walking or hitchhiking distance to this thief's house!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Taratron. Found another:

http://www.israquarium.co.il/Fish/Nannostomus/Nannostomus.html
(N. mortenthaleri)

And another:

http://www.israquarium.co.il/Plants/PlantsIndex.html
(Ludwigia ovalis)

Looks like it's an Israeli site. Anyone in the audience...?

2la
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

no offense, but arent you taking it a little to far over a simple picture?
it is after all just a picture. why not be honored that another site is using your work for otheres informational benefit, not monetarily. what are you losing here?
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken, but I think you completely miss the principles here. Complete this sentence:

Displaying other people's work without asking for permission or giving due credit is:

a) rude.
b) inappropriate.
c) unethical.
d) plagiarism.
e) a major ethical problem in web publishing today.
f) all of the above.

You must also consider that I have sold six of my images to Tropical Fish Hobbyist, so there is an added (though certainly not primary) economic interest in addition to a proprietary one. So if it's alright with everyone else, I'd like to restrict replies here to those that can help the offended (me) reacquire what was his (mine) to begin with rather than defend/justify the offender in his actions.

Thanks,

2la

Last edited by 2la on 2005.01.29(Sat)23:52; edited 1 time in total
brianD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, wasnt trying to imply that I was sideing with the offender.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)23:30    Post subject: Re: Wouldn't you know it? Reply with quote

2la wrote:
PS Dammit, the automatic spell checker is changing the ".I-l/" portion of the URL to ".I'll", assuming that I've made some kind of typo. Please copy and paste the erroneous URL into your address bar and replace the ".I'll" part with ".I-l" with both letters UNcapitalized and without the dash in between them (which is placed there only to keep the auto spell check from changing it to "I'll". Thanks.

Double Confused'ed

I just went ahead and removed that particular autocorretion from the list...feel free to do so yourself when you find such cases where one of them prevents a legitimate use of the word...(this extends to all other administrators as well, of course...)
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.01.30(Sun)6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be maddening. Would you consider having them give you credit for the pic, and keeping it on their website? Laskey
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.01.30(Sun)16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Laskey, and this is in fact what's going to happen. The webmaster contacted me and was very earnest and humble about the whole thing. I simply asked that my copyright in some way, shape, or form was preserved so that lifting of images wasn't perpetuated and that he ask for permission before any other images were used. I'll keep checking in to make sure that's done.

I'm happy to contribute in any way to any type of educational resource, but I think I'm at least owed the courtesy to be asked to do so before it's actually done!

Thanks to all for the help!

2la
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.31(Mon)3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats why you want to take terribly photos Cool . nobody will want to steal em! 2la that webmaster should be happy that you don't sue him. if its your photo and he displays it on his site thats technically stealing, right?

andrew
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: