Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Uneducated people bother me..
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a rant.

I just got back from our Wal-mart. This girl was standing around talking about what to put in her unopen fish tank (mistake #1). She didn't really know what she wanted. She kept rambling about how everyone she knew kept a Betta in her size tank (mistake #2), and when the employee came around, the girl asked for two comets (mistake #3.) She handed over the fish, and the girl started asking about using bottled water for her tank. The employee asked her what size her tank was, and she said, "It's one on these!" and pointed to a half gallon betta tank (needless to say, those things are barely big enough for a Betta, let alone two gold fish.) "Well," the employee said, "that tank isn't big enough for two, so don't be surprised if one dies." Mad I seriously had to bite my tongue. If only she was around to here my little gold-fish-need-20-gallons-and-ten-more-gallons-for-each-additional-fish discussion I was having with my mom, oh, ten minutes earlier?
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Flurry, I know how you feel. We just got our new Walmart too. It opened on Wednesday, and I went to visit last night. Well I was amazed that it had a fish section, because its a smaller walmart, so I drug my boyfriend over to see the fish. My happiness over the fish section quickly changed to worry when I realized all of the people who were gathered around the tanks, spontaineously buying fish. I feel so bad for those poor little guys.

Oh well, at least I know my fish will have a good chance..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I do when faced with said stupidity or ignorance from a lfs worker? Admittedly, this works in my case, but I'm sure you can change things around. Smile

Yesterday, for example, I needed some ghost shrimp for our puffers at the zoo. And driving to my best and fave lfs, 40 miles away, during rush hour and a thunderstorm, wasn't happening. So I stopped at PetsMart and was greeted with a kid who surely has to have a picture ID to get into PG-13 movies. 15 shrimp, I said, and he asked what I was feeding.

Porcupine puffers, a little live food as a treat. Oh, said the employee, and went on to describe how he had a big marine tank (in this case, 30 gallons) and had a puffer he got at PetCo, but it died. So now he has a triggerfish and a Nemo clownfish (I kid you not, those were his EXACT words!) and a tomato clownfish. He asked what size my tank was, and fibbing a bit, since the tank is really the zoo's and I am just the caregiver, I said 55 gallons.

A few more questions from him about my other tanks....yeah, the largest is 300 gallons, I told him.

What I MEANT to say, and would have, as I do sometimes at PetsMarts when I get people who treat me as they do every other customer, is that, hey, kid, I used to work at a PetsMart. I did. For two years. Know where I work now? The zoo, in the aquarium. And one of my interview questions was if I had any experience with fish. I told them, yes, PetsMart. Ah, said the interviewer, now do you have any experience in NOT killing fish?

It always makes the employee silent when I say this. Yes, it's a small thing and it makes me look petty, or like a bitch, but after all the bad advice I've been told (like how I don't need to buy more than two neons, they don't need company, or otos don't eat algae but shrimp), it's a tiny victory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Wal-Mart opened Wednesday, lol. At least I think it was Wednesday... could have been Tuesday. The exam days/snow days have messed me up so much.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non chain LFS three weeks ago- I went in to pick up a 6 gallon tank to use for a few ram fry I was trying to save, to no avail. Anyway, I asked the guy if they had any pygmy cories that I could use as a cleanup crew. "No, but we have plecos". Argh... Explained why I didn't want one, but his eyes glazed over half way through.

Today, different shop, still a non chain- Went to pickup some Anubias. While I was there, a middle aged, seemingly well educated guy came in. I listened as he asked the employee for 5 gold gouramis. The employee asked what size tank the guy had. "Five gallon with two Powder blue gouramis in it now", the gent replied. "I would suggest you only get one or two", the employee replied.
*Bangs head against tank full of Pacus* The mark from my forehead is probably still there. (Joking. "Don't tap the glass").

The worst thing about it is that I don't think any of this will ever go away, its been going on since I was young enough to believe pet store employees (nearly 2 decades of intermitent fish keeping successes and failures later). I think there are only a few ways to succesfully combat it, boards like this one or opening your own shop.

The only upside of it is that a trip to half the shops around reafirms how much more you know and/or how honest you are.
Guppylover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.15(Tue)21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think almost everyone here on this board has suffered many comments which are untrue on fishkeeping. My parents were the ones who were like why do you worry so much about your fish, they are just fish. They would always question me whenever I changed my water and preformed pH and ammonia tests.
I tend to stay far away from badly kept fish stores and chain pets stores and only go to my lfs (where I work as well) and the small family pet store close by. Sad to say I am very picky with where I buy my fish and supplies.
DrEmmerich
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.15(Tue)21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I started out very recently with a very poorly stocked aquarium. I asked questions and felt reasonably sure that my tank would be right for them. LuckilyI stumbled across this site while looking for info on my two RTBS in my 10 gallon. Asked a few questions here and decided it best to take them all back.
I was just in there today looking for a Nitrite tester and the fish department fellow was trying to tell me not to bother testing the ammonia or nitrite for the first 6 months. He's a nice guy but I'm going to be relying more on information I find here or through research on and offline.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.16(Wed)0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

petsmart, petco, walmart all the same rubbish. I have said this before but I like testing them! go in with a couple questions in your head that you know the answer too. ask one of the employees(while acting all I know nothing) the questions. acording to a petsmart employee the cute little oscars only get 4" long. next time I am in canada I am going to go into the local petsmart and with questions. ask an employee. then inform the manager about how stupid the employee is. a good old friend of mine was a owner of the local lfs I went to. great guy trying to make people have good aquariums. (he had a breeding pair of discus) well he had some marine tanks but I don't think he knew enough about them that was when he informed me that hair algae is decorative. so it grew and grew then one night (as plants/algaes absorm oxygen at night without producing any) I lost about 100 dollars worth of fish. I was annoyed. but the grudge didn't hold. I went into his shop and explained the fact that having to much hair aglae had made me loose 100 bucks worth of fish. hes tanks were spotless by the next time I went in!
2 winged demons
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.16(Wed)8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK the big chain store fish sections and how poor/not poor they are has been done to death. If you want to complain about a fish store, that's fine, but please DO NOT list them by name. There has already been one incident where one online pet distributer had successfully sued an aquarium message board for defamation of character and had them shut down and the owner had to pay thousands of dollars. Should you want this to happen to AofA then by all means continue.

Thank you for understanding.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: