Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Uneducated people bother me..
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.28(Fri)7:53    Post subject: Uneducated people bother me.. Reply with quote

This is just a little rant.

When I discovered I was getting a tank for xmas, I immediatly began to research how to happily keep fish without harming them. I do this everytime I get a new pet. When I got my first cat, bunny, etc. I really care about how my pets are and want to give them the best life possible.

So, I finally recieved my tank and began to fishless cycle. Well, it is 3 weeks later and Iam STILL cycling. I know it takes time, and I understand the process, but everyone keeps asking me "do you have fish yet?!" and when I explain that I am cycling my tank, they laugh in my face and say "oh! well when I got my tank, I put fish in it the next day! thats what the guy at the LPS said!".

They treat me like I am insane. I am sorry if I care so much about my pets. I just wish people at LPS would be better educated and better educate people who want fish tanks on the cycling process.

Roar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.28(Fri)14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, when I went to gather test kits and things for starting my cycle, the LPS employees were all, "Just wait a few days before adding fish..." "Um, I'm going to do a fishless cycle, where instead of adding fish, I add ammonia so I don't harm the..." The employee kept rambling on and on. When I went to pay for the test kits I needed, both employees talked me out of a nitrate test kit, and told me to buy cycle and add it before adding fish. Haha, my mom was kind of there, and she was all, "They know their stuff." And when I mentioned about Biofilm, the employees laughed at me. It was embarrassing, and I kind of left in a huff. I came back a few days later though, and they gave me a HUGE bag of water to add to my fish tank to help it cycle.

Aww well...
Patrick005
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.28(Fri)15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time I went to my lfs to buy a test kit. I ended up not getting it because the girl who worked there basically talked me out of it. When I asked her to show me where they were. She asked me why I needed it. I told her to monitor my water conditions. Then gave me this really long lecture about water parameters how to cycle the tank bla blah bla; giving me mostly wrong information. She then told me test kits were not needed then tried to give me many different bottles of solutions like declorinator algae remover pH up pH down. After I realized I was not going to get my test kit while she was there. I walked out of the store showing much dissapointment.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.28(Fri)16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone once told me, "Have pity on those who know less than you, or I shall have none for you."

What do you think he meant?
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
PG
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.28(Fri)20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you! It takes courage to do the right thing, and you are exactly doing the right thing. Doing the right thing doesn't always make one the most popular person; but, it does allow you to sleep at night Smile Kudos to you!
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)1:10    Post subject: Re: Uneducated people bother me.. Reply with quote

LunarFlame wrote:
...and when I explain that I am cycling my tank, they laugh in my face and say "oh! well when I got my tank, I put fish in it the next day! thats what the guy at the LPS said!".

Most casual aquarists, and even shop employee's as in the cases described in the other posts, really do like and care about the fish, but have no idea whatsoever how long the fish could live if they were kept properly. They think lifespans of "months" are typical, and therefore whatever they did was fine because that's how long their fish lived, so what you're doing is completely unnecessary...

After all these years discussing fishkeeping on the net with the intention of raising awareness to proper fishkeeping, I've come to believe that knowledge of fish's true lifespans is the key ingredient missing in most people's minds, leading them to form these wrong opinions and advices when they're solely trusting their common sense, not actual information.

Everybody knows that dogs live for 10-15 years, so common sense can be trusted and if anyone tries but can't keep any dogs alive for more than 3 years it immediately raises a flag...something MUST be wrong here. But this type of thing just doesn't happen with tropical fish, yet.

Here's a tip: in a case of bad opinion/advice like this, just show genuine interest and ask the person how long their fish lived. In 9 ou of 10 cases you will get something like "Oh, several weeks/months..." or "Oh, some of them lasted almost a year!" (people will often use the word "last" with respect to fish instead of using "live", that's another symptom).

You can then reply "Yeah, that's how long they usually last when they're just thrown into the tank, but I want mine to live their entire natural lifespan of 3/5/10/20 years (whatever's appropriate for your fish), that's why I'm doing it this way..."
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for that Marcos. It really opened my eyes, and now I have a better way to deal with this frustrating problem in a polite, but informative way. It was very helpful!

Also, thanks to everyone else who posted their experiences, now I don't feel so alone! lol!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the uneducated people who bugged me when I worked at PetsMart, or at the zoo now. It's the people who are determined to stay that way.

I once had the literal epitome of white trash come into PetsMart with two squalling kids. Kid you not, Jeff Foxworthy would have mentioned this lady needed kicking out of the trailer park to bring up property values. The woman bought each of her kids (which actually turned out to be her grandkids, my mistake!) a goldfish, and a goldfish bowl. I told her that each goldie needs 10 gallons of water space, and pulled out the ruler to show how large a goldfish should get. The woman looked at me, the ruler, the bowls, nodded, and then left with the fish, the kids, and the two plastic bowls.

Well, not much I can do. I did my best. And the result came back some two months later, when the same lady came back with her grandkids. They weren't here to buy more fish, she told me, but they needed more goldfish food. So I show her the food, and ask how many goldies she needs to feed. Five, she tells me, and my stomach just sinks, thinking of 3 golds in one bowl, and two in the other, or something to that extent. Wrong. The lady had picked up a 55 gallon tank, and according to her, she had done some reading and found out I was right. So her tank was stocked with five goldfish, no more. Needless to say, I picked my jaw off the floor when she was done.

Of course, for every person that listened, there were some 20 that believed if every oscar needs two or more oscar friends, and three or more plecos to eat the oscar poo, that bettas don't need to be fed, that hamsters are communal animals. The best you can do is try. And some people will always remain ignorant. Do a web search on geocentrists. See what I mean!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Patrick005
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time I run across that situation I'll definitly take Marcos's advice. What Taratron was saying about people trying to stay that way is what I was trying to get at. The lady at the pet store just gave me the attitude that since she worked at the pet store she knew all and since I was the customer I must have been dumb.
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick: I know what you mean. I think the it is the worst when you are talking to an employe who is at a petstore, and they are giving you wrong info. I really feel akward trying to correct someone who *should* know what they are talking about. They just make me feel stupid, even though I know that I am not..lol
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: