Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What is suitable for a fish only setup?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lalaland
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.27(Thu)16:06    Post subject: What is suitable for a fish only setup? Reply with quote

I am in the middle of setting up a fish only setup and love all the different types of fish that are available in the marine section of my LFS.

I really want a lion fish, but I could change my mind if I knew what else was available for fish only setups?

Anyone got any suggestions of interesting fish for this kind of thing or maybe some tank mates if I did get a lion fish?

Thanks
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.27(Thu)17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is your tank? If you want a lionfish, you have to be careful with invertebrates because it will eatany small enough to swallow whole. Same goes for fish. With a lionfish, you can't get gobies, basslets, clowns, damsels, etc..... Before you go off buying anything, you've got to tell us how big your tank is because even though they don't need too much swimming room since they're lazy, you have to have a large tank because they can get pretty big.

Anyways, tankmates for lionfish could include tangs, groupers, large angels, eels, and also puffers. I'm sure there are other fish you could keep with them but these are the fish I can think of off the top of my head but like I said, before you go buying anything, tell us how big your tank is.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.28(Fri)0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

predator fish only aquariums. you said in a different post that your tank was 160L I believe. if you want a easier time with the tank and you don't mind having a smaller lion fish you could get a dwarf lion fish instead of a normal large on. very cool looking and best of all SMALL. with a lionfish you want fish that can't fit in its mouth or are uneatable(spines poisonous ect). best of luck with your lionfish tank.

andrew
2 winged demons
lalaland
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.28(Fri)3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, my tanks 160L.

I would love a lion fish and a porcupine puffer, that would be quite cool and interesting.

At the moment I only have the tank as set up for freshwater (cleaned out) which includes filter, heater, pump and I'm also adding a red sea prizm skimmer, but not sure if it's worth the extra cash for the deluxe? Any thoughts?
(The deluxe adds an inluded filter and top water skimmer too for extra
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.01.28(Fri)9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can add it later a little at a time.
My friend, you do not need hundreds of dollars in live rock to have a successful marine fish tank! Don't get me wrong, I like LR; I have collected a lot of it myself here in Florida and I have seen it benefit many tanks. I have also kept marines happy for years with little or none at all. Truth be told, large volumes of live rock can pose a problem in some fish set ups because you are in effect turning it into a fish and invert system. The first time you get a cryptocaryon infestation, (and you will) you will need to move ALL your fish out for a month OR treat the tank with copper which will kill your expensive LR/invert investment. Without a quarantine tank big enough to hold a lion, you will be "up the creek." I see posts almost daily with aquarists who are caught in this quandry. Many are selling/buying LR expecting it to be a silver bullet to all their fish problems, but it's really not that simple. Adding a little live rock to a fish system is good; you can do that slowly over a period of time just make sure it's cured and I would advise quarantine for the rock for a month to make sure you do not introduce isopods/pathogens/mantis into your fish display. Also, research how to keep your live rock/corallines/encrusting inverts growing not declining; this is not always easy with big protein consumers like lions. My advice would be to spend your money a serious skimmer, (I.e. Euro Reef, Turbo Flotor etc.) you will need it for nutrient export. Later you can consider a remote (sump) planted refugium w/DSB for nitrate reduction.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: