Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lots of dead fish at LPS
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.27(Thu)14:21    Post subject: Lots of dead fish at LPS Reply with quote

We just recently got a PetsUnlimited in our area in December. Since they opened, I have been eyeing up their fish selection. I hadn't been there for a week, so I decided to visit today and see if they had any new fish in yet.

I had been interested in their young Flame Gourami's and today, when I went to look at them, I was horrified! The whole tank was green and dead, mouldy fsh were floating everywhere, amoung the live ones. Some of the living ones looked like parts of their gill were ripped off.. it was terrible.

Is this normal for a new pets store? Shouldnt they remove the dead fish?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FishiesRPeopleToo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.27(Thu)14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really isnt relevant to your question, but I was wondering where you are from??

Anyway, thats kinda gross. I wouldnt wany any of the fish from that tank. Maybe not even that store!

I saw a poor fishie the other day at my LPS with no eyes!! I felt bad for him but he seemed to be doing okay.

~^..^~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Francheska
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.01.27(Thu)14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I felt the same way when I stepped by the Petland Discounts store in upper Manhattan. Almost every tank contained fish bodies that were decomposing and were nipped at by live, but so unhealthy looking fish. Almost every tank had fish infected with Ich or other deceases. I
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.27(Thu)14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This really isnt relevant to your question, but I was wondering where you are from??

I am from Nova Scotia, Canada.

I was just wondering if the green tank water is normal for a shop to experience since it is relativly new.. I don't understand why the dead fish were just left there to decay though.

There is another smaller, local pet store that has been here for years, that is probably where I will get fish. My mother got all of her's there and hasn't had a problem. The staff seem to know a ton more too.[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.27(Thu)15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like they need a decent fish department manager -- someone who knows how to take care of that department. That's just disgusting, and they are certainly not going to do any business until they get on top of their maintenance.

Someone should write to the company and tell them what's going on with that store.

~Haname
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.28(Fri)7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manager who works there seems to really know his stuff.. thats why I was really surprised at how many dead fish there were. And the tanks that seemed ill weren't even quarentined. I may talk to him about it if I visit again and it is the same.

Oh and Fish Lover..stop it!
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.28(Fri)8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, knowing stuff and managing stuff are two different things. Part of the manager's responsibility is to assign tasks to the employees, such as, "inspect each tank at the beginning of the shift and remove any dead/dying fish."

It is completely normal for fish stores to experience a lot of fish losses, due to the stress on the fish from being shipped halfway around the world. Especially right after a new shipment, some losses practically every day is normal. What isn't normal, is for the dead fish to not be removed, and for the water to be green (unless the tank is being treated with Malachite Green. For all we know, they may have been trying to treat that tank for fungus or something).

Anyway, I do hope that they get their act together and provide a good resource for you. Smile It isn't as if the situation can't be remedied.

~Haname
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.28(Fri)14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe they didn't cycle their tanks Laughing not too many lfs's know much about fishless cycling Wink
marto
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.28(Fri)18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG. last month I went to a LPS in my area and in one of the guppy tanks there was a dead betta floating around (I assumed it jumped into the tank). and there was lots of guppy fry in the tank that was unremoved
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: