Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Apistogramma nijsseni [Babies Page 3!!!]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.26(Sat)19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are many species of Apistos with all sorts of colors and patterns. Specifically for the A. nijsseni female, the pattern above is pretty much the same for all of them, except some don't have the large black blotch above the belly. The male of this species is completely different, with a yellow and blueish body and no black spots at all.

Anyway, last night when I came home from work they were BOTH up front with their faces to the glass to greet me. This morning they'd already dug a cave under a rock right up front the tank, and at this very moment they're both in there and I can see the female upside down! It can't get more "textbook" than this Surprised Surprised Surprised
Jay NYC
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....what a great story!! That's why I like this site so much....where else are you gonna find people that understand how attatched you can get to a fish?!? Now you have to post pics of the newlyweds.
brennus
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to ask a question about keeping Apistos, but this is the photo album... Should I make a new thread or post here?

---

BTW I love the pic! It's gorgeous! Hope they live.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe, if you're enjoying the story then I guess it's worth typing some more of it Smile

The mating rituals are absolutely awesome. She comes out of the little cave she's made, approaches the male and bends sideways, showing off her white belly to him (Look! I'm ready!). If he doesn't react to that, then she swims in reverse and slaps her tail all over his face (You KNOW you want it honey!). If he still doesn't show interest and swims away then she turns around and lunges at him in frustration (What kind of man are you?!), then heads back to the cave entrance, takes a final look back, and enters (If you change your mind, you know where to find me...). Two minutes later (which is probably how long she can retain her short term memory Smile ) She comes out of the cave and it starts all over again...

I'm starting to like this little guy's coolness Cool but I'm worried because he didn't read the pages I did, reporting how females killed their partners...although there are other accounts of the opposite, males ripping off the female's lower jaw in a lip-lock, etc...but anyway, for the first 24 hours it's been pretty interesting and worth it, regardless of what follows Smile

brennus, if it's a generic question about Apistos then yes it's better to post a topic in the Cichlids forum...
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.04(Mon)5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo!!! Very Happy

This morning the female introduced us to her offspring...she brought them out of the cave to swim around the plant roots. There's about 60-80 tiny fry (about 2 mm) but already quite smart and exploring well, nipping at everything they can find. In the hurry I couldn't get a decent shot, even more so considering that the front glass is dirty and I don't dare clean it right now:

Up until now the parents have been nothing less than exemplary! The female is very zealous but calm. The male is essentially indifferent, swimming around the tank and around the fry swarm as if they didn't exist, and the female generally tolerates his presence among the fry. Here's the proud daddy:

And another pic together with a baby:

Considering that this is the first time in 23 years of fishkeeping that I actually try to intentionally reproduce a species, it's been quite an experience! Surprised
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.04(Mon)7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow! Lots and lots of babies I see! How old are they? Maybe some day I can get my gouramis to spawn... Even if they are a little basic Wink
Anyway, great job, it sure would be cool to get something other than platy fry!
Jay NYC
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Marcos!! You must be so excited. So what are you gonna do with all those babies?.....Maybe this is your first step towards opening your own LFS...hehehe....Good luck!!
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the pictures coming, Marcos...I'm interested to see what the fry look like as they develop. That's so exciting. Oh, to be somewhere where they acutally have dwarf cichlids that aren't rams or kribs. (although I do enjoy my rams immensely.)
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I finally had a good day off and, among other things, I spent almost ONE HOUR in front of the paludarium until I got some better photos of the couple Smile

Female posing for photo:

Male checking out Fontinalis antipyretica:

These past weeks I didn't have time to care for the tanks...the fry were left to their own luck and obviously most of them are gone, whether eaten, sucked by the filter or something else...but there's still at least 6-8 which are about 4 mm now. I couldn't get a decent photo of any of them, but almost! Next week I'll try again...
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful photos marcos! in my opinion the photo of the female might be a good replacement for the main photo in the gallery for this species(http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Apistogramma_nijsseni.php). once again amazing photos and its a pitty that so many of the fry have died. maybe next time you could raise them?

andrew
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: