Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
urgent advise needed
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.26(Wed)9:59    Post subject: urgent advise needed Reply with quote

I don't know the scientific name of this fish. We call it the sea angel. It's not in your gallery. It's a wonderful addition to a saltwater aquarium.

You must have heard about the recent tsunami which struck our city. We believe that the habitat of this fish has been wiped out. These fish are not coming into the area where our fishermen can catch them. They have suffered huge losses. Initially we helped them out. Now can one of you tell me how to attract them back to their zone and hence bring these guys back into the market for selling too. They don't breed in salt water ponds. The sea is the ultimate place.
fish_first
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.26(Wed)11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

A description would be nice... there are tons of "Angelfish" in ocean systems... as for thier habitat being whiped out, its a devistating blow to thier chances of returning... I'd be really nice if you did start catching them there again... but if you do I would not advise into exploiting it as a food resource. These fish are probably really stressed and their species is probably in trouble... depending on how rare they are. Do they seem to live any other place near you?
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.27(Thu)0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm not talking about fish that are taken as food. These are specially caught in the sea and brought in live for adopting as pets. Actually they fetch a lot of money in the market. The fishermen are right now struggling with this.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.27(Thu)1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

as there habitat has been destroyed I would not think it would be advisable to collect them for any purpose. they're numbers are most likely at risk of over fishing. but of course this is there lively hood. what sortof habitat do they live in? like is it rocky is it a reef ect. I don't think it would be possible to provide an artifical habitat like a sunken ship ect(I saw some pics of this ship which they intentionaly sunk(removed all toxic items) it turned into a lush cold water reef.(this was in canada or norther america). also to id the fish you are talking about could you describe it? markings, colours size ect.

andrew
2 winged demons
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.27(Thu)8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the habitat. They thrive in the water between India's east coastline and the Andaman islands. A NEWS program last week suggested that the sea bed in Bay of Bengal has taken a pounding.

These sea angels are silvery in colour. with one black stripe on the tail and one across the mouth. They grow upto 6 inches. THEY DON'T BREED IN ARTIFICIAL PONDS. They are extremely aggresive. They killed my tiger sharks last year. Now these guys are just with some of us. Is there any way we can get them to breed in land? But still it does'nt help the fishing folk. We have just stepped in to help.

It's a big crisis waiting to explode. We know the destruction of one species now. We don't know what more is coming??!!!
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.28(Fri)0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. could you clarify this:
Quote:
They are extremely aggresive. They killed my tiger sharks last year. Now these guys are just with some of us.
a 6 inche long angel fish killed a tiger shark? sorry but I am a bit confused

andrew
2 winged demons
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.28(Fri)1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. These tiger sharks are brought up with a special diet. They don't grow more than 2 metres. Mine was 80cms long. Don't think they are those mid ocean monsters. I'll try to get some photographs. But they are too fast for that.

Probably they have some other names. In India they are called tiger sharks. So just don't get confused by that. They are aggressive, I think that is the catch.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: