Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
NYC area.......where to get cichlid fry.
 Forum Index > Ads and Links  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bALZAC
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.25(Tue)20:24    Post subject: NYC area.......where to get cichlid fry. Reply with quote

I am new to cichclids, and after seeing most LFS's stock(mostly beat to hell from stress of shipping/cramped tank, was hoping to find an alternative.

With all the posts I see of people having successful spawning attempts, where do all the surplus babies go?

Do most people trade them in a the LFS? Do you sell online, at local aquarist clubs? I would rather buy from someone local, this is less expensive for the adopter/buyer, and easier fot the person with the fry(I know I'd pay more than the LFS Would).
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.01.25(Tue)21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for africans, these guys seem very close to you. (Can't vouch for em, don't know).

http://www.geocities.com/cichlidnyc/

You can also check out Jeff Rapps, who is very well known for quality fish. He's in Jersey, so ground shipping would be an overnight affair and cheap. www.tangledupincichlids.com. Again, I've never ordered from him, but he has a great rep and I have seen some of his fish in shops, they look incedible.

Also, if you poke around craigslist.org nyc, sometimes a one off will show up there in the pets section.
Francheska
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.01.25(Tue)21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
there is a very cool fish store in a city called New World Aquarium. You should definitely check them out as they have a very nice cichlids selection:
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/pages/details/906.htm
Good luck,
F.
Jay NYC
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.27(Thu)1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also "Fish Town USA" on Northern Blvd, a few blocks off of Francis Lewis Blvd.....right in your neighborhood. Their fish always seem healthy to me. And they have a pretty good plant selection too.
bALZAC
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.27(Thu)5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the fish I have are from fish town usa. I just felt they are a little weak when it comes to ca/sa cichlids.

I checked out New World.........Great shop! They had a nice selection. I was really happy to see they had 1/2-2" sized ca/sa cichlids, as well as larger.

Let me also add that they had some spectacular Saltwater fish, although I don't know much about em.
 Forum Index > Ads and Links All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: