Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Slate & Shale Terraces
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.23(Sun)18:04    Post subject: Slate & Shale Terraces Reply with quote

I am in the process of creating four terraces, three for myself, and another for a friend. I have used aquarium silicone in the past, applying it to a clean, dry, even surface, and allowing it to cure for much longer than the label said, to no avail. I have braced the pieces so they were quite sturdy, but it still doesn't stay together properly after a number of days. I have also tried using different amounts of silicone. No luck. I haev tried using differently shaped and sized pieces, and have included a base, but I have not been able to successfully complete any terrace over 10" long, by 14" wide, and between 12-13" in height. I have multiple links to this kind of project, but none have expressed any of the difficulties I have, and continue to, experience. The largest of the terraces I need to create is to be approximately 26" long, by 17" wide, and 20" tall.

Has anyone who has built their own terrace out of slate/shale experienced something like this?
What is the best kind of sealant?

Thanks in advance!

Smile
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.24(Mon)10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using other rocks inbetween to support the terrace or just silicone?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Kapenta Kid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.24(Mon)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always found that aquarium silicon is a poor adhesive for rockwork. I believe that most, if not all, epoxies are aquarium safe. I let glued pieces cure for a day and then wash and soak them thoroughly with tap water before I put them in the tank. I have never had any problems.
none
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.25(Tue)21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think epoxies might work good as mentioned. I also think you may be taking the wrong approach. The key is to create hidden structure, in example; a houses wooden frame is hidden after covered with the exposed siding, shingles, etc. I have made smaller structures in my tank, nothing quite as big as you're talking about; using clear plastic. You may look into using thin plexiglass and cutting it into narrow pieces for support, which you can more easily glue your rock to. Wink
bumble_bee
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.25(Tue)23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what type of glues would you use to glue rocks together?

I made a rock bridge sort of thing in my tank but every time I do a water change and siphon the tank I always have to 'rebuild' it, and its so annoying because it looks different everytime.
none
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that using the aquarium sealant tends to weaken when saturated in the water after so long and if you're not carefull you'll seperate the glued together rocks when vacumming. If I was going to do it again, I would use an epoxy (a safe one) and a strong one.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: