Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
The yabby farm!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.22(Sat)1:39    Post subject: The yabby farm! Reply with quote

well me and my friend are setting up a yabby farm. were going to start with cherax destructor a common species. its setup in the cellar. we have hooked up 3 55l plastic bins by cutting holes in them and attaching pvc piping. the setup will be heated to alow for optimum growth from the babies.there will be a pump setup sucking water from one side to the other to make a current. the three boxes will be separated by netting covering the pvc pipe conectors. 1 tank will contain the big (lucky) male and a female or two. the other 2 will be grow out tanks to raise the fry. the adults tub will be lighted to make them think its breeding time 24/7! were going to aim at selling small ones to bait shops and the large ones might be sold for the dinner plate if we can get em to grow fast. (I know my dad would buy some off us to eat). we are eventually going to look into more tank safe species to increase the number of potential buyers to include pet shops. its an interesting setup! I will try to get some pics.

andrew

also I can call myself farmer brown once my friend and I get this setup and going!
2 winged demons
weejoy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.22(Sat)12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sell them as pets here in the US. Are they sold as pets in Australia?
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.22(Sat)13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll bite, what in haven's name is a yabby???
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.22(Sat)13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntress: Thats Aussie for our crawdads Smile

Slackra: Praps just plop the babies into your pond? Crayfish farmers who harvest for food/bait use large ponds.
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.01.22(Sat)16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I was wondering too but didn't want to ask because everyone else seemed to understand.... Embarassed Very Happy
Fish sticks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.22(Sat)18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought crawdads should never be put in heated tanks/ponds or whatever. not trying to lecture you lol, just curious. does it really help the babys grow? interesting.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.22(Sat)21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbys. aussie language for crayfish. we don't have a pond cept the pond in the front yard and I want to put tropicals in there over the summer period and cherax destructors will eat fish if they can catch them. currently were waiting for the silicone to dry. anouther couple days and in goes the pump and the water.

andrew
2 winged demons
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.23(Sun)8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slackra,

Can you make a DIY type page for this? Pictures, description, things that worked and thing that didn't, etc. It sounds like it could be a fun project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.23(Sun)18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I willl try to get some photos. a good diy hint. leave the siliocone for exactly the time it says on the bottle! lol we had some leaks minor. also if anybody is cutting plastic get a good knife. with our resources we drilled holes all around the area we needed to removed for teh pipe to go threw. then we cut the bits between teh holes. then we filled it down. I recomend not doing it that way! to many small annoying cracks in teh plastic!

andrew
2 winged demons
GothicAvatar96
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.25(Tue)14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like an AWESOME way to make some extra cash and combine the hobby we love so much . Hmmmm I might consider something like that myself hehehe don't worry I wouldnt be competing with you . I live a few thousand miles away Wink
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: