Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Thai Fighter fish- Male or Female
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruby2509
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.21(Fri)7:08    Post subject: Thai Fighter fish- Male or Female Reply with quote

What is better, male or female fighter fish? I have heard that female fighters are becoming ever so popular Rolling Eyes , but he males are brighter because of their tails. Cool
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.21(Fri)7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

well 2 males kill eachother 2 females don't. so you could have 2 bettas in one tank if they were females.

andrew
2 winged demons
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.21(Fri)9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really simplistic reply, that's not always 100% true. It is very true that 2 male bettas frequently fight. Often one ends up so bullied and beaten that they eventually succumb.
Female bettas do not have the long, flowing fins of the male, however, in recent years, thier colors have been developed to be almost as bright. Female bettas are also frequently aggressive, so saying "2 females won't" is hardly true. It is possible, however, with a lot of care and vigilance, to keep a group of females together in relative harmony.
marto
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.21(Fri)23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw on this documentary about bettas. they took 2 male0 bettas into a large lake. they put them in the lake & they still attacked each other.

I thailand people put bets on these fighting fish like horse racing,
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.21(Fri)23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marto, they are bred to be more aggressive than they normally would be. Also, if you release them in a large enough area, they almost always will choose to separate eventually, rather than fight "to the death".
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.01.22(Sat)17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 females in a 60 gallon tank, bought as siblings I suspect. They are fine together, and the other fish seem to be OK as well -- but I haven't seen an amano shrimp recently -- oh, NO!! I had 10 or 15 of them not too long ago. ($2each!!)
moatcarp01
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.23(Sun)22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest reason that bettas fight in an aquarium is, they have no where else to go. In the wild when their "squabble" over a mate is over, the victorious betta will stay and the one that lost will swim away somewhere else. There are always exceptions however. I have heard that some people keep two males togethor and never have a problem, and some just make their fins erect. Others seem to be really agressive and go around killing each other, but like SherryNE said, they are bred to be more aggressive.
chlorophyll
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.24(Mon)1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often thought that one day I might make a betta pond in a greenhouse. As in the wild, given enough spread space (depth not being that important), they can live together without totally terrorizing each other. I reckon regularly minorly damaged fins would be kind of common place though, in the long fin varieties.
It's been done.
Ruby2509
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard from 1 of my friends that if you feed your fighter TetraBetta (it doesn't matter wether it is M or F) it increases colour by 25%!! Is this true? I tried it on mine, and it seems to be kinda workin Wink g
rjkd
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's better to have a lot of female bettas if you're going to be keeping them together and not just two. That will spread out the aggression rather than having one betta picking on the other.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: