Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Blue Linkia Starfish
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.20(Thu)21:34    Post subject: Blue Linkia Starfish Reply with quote

I know they are hard to take care of but I really want to try and keep a Blue Linkia Starfish. I know that they are sensitive to new water levels and new water parameters and that they are very delicate. I know what makes them so hard to take care of.

My question is if I got him, how would you recommend I add him to the tank? By that I mean how long should I float him for, and when should I start adding water from the tank to his bag?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.21(Fri)2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres my basic introductionary technique. float bag for 15-20min depending on sensitivity of the fish/invert/coral. also knowing the pH of your current tank water and the water that the starfish was in will help as if the pH is not very different you can add them sooner instead of keeping them in a bag. also check the difference in sality between the bag water and your tank. after floating for 15-20mins add 1 cup of water to the bag from your tank. after thish I usualy clip the bag to the side of my aquarium to it dosen't sink. repeat that proccess untill the bag is almost full. epty out half of the water in the bag. then start the proccess again. usually by the time the bag is full the secound time you can introduce the fish/invert/coral.

andrew
2 winged demons
GothicAvatar96
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.25(Tue)13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm that method is good slackra but if I might add my own 2 cents . Instead of adding "cups" of water you might be a lot better off using the "drip method" with some air tubing . Simply use the tubing like you would use a siphon tube for water changes . But tie a simple not at the drip end and allow it to drip 1 drop every 15 seconds . Its very important also to keep the bag the same temperature as the tank . And thats a tad difficult if it hasto be under the tank water level for the siphon to properly work. Unless you have a sump for that particular tank. In which case youd simply keep the bag in there while the water drips in. if you don't have a sump ..... well I'm not sure how you would do that lol. Rolling Eyes Anyone have any ideahs ? maybe a bucket full of tank water .With a heater in it thats the same temp as the tank. Other than that slackras dead on follow everything that he says . Smile
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.25(Tue)18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never do the drip method. never had a sump or refugium ect. I was told that method by jlaquatics. they rocked. saltwater only lfs. giant clams, gobies, clowns, trigger, eels, corals, inverts(shrimp nudibranches ect). if you want to make the method better you could simply add 1/2 a cup every 3-4 mins.

andrew
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: