Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
keeping daninos and neons in a pond. questions
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.20(Thu)2:43    Post subject: keeping daninos and neons in a pond. questions Reply with quote

hi all I am unsetting up my 32g soonish. not sure what I am going to do with it. anyway today I went out to my pond and saw some mosquito larvae so I got some and threw them in my 32g. well the neons and daninos went nuts. hunting ect. they were very good at it too. anyway my pond is over 300l I think it is 346l or around that. inside the pond are some leaf litter (what falls in) and a part of a trunk of a tree(looks nice its submerged). the pond is definatly alive with bugs I see things moving around everywhere. so would it be possible to have them in the pond. would it be nessesary to have a water pump or an air pump airateing the water as I don't wnat to disturb they're possible food sources. also I will add a heater before winter comes(if you can call 12'C weather winter) and I will also add some substrate proabably a sand of some sort or gravel. the ponds pH is 6.5-7.0 perfect for neons! so is it possible? also I will put some netting over the pond and some shade cloth over the middle part to protect it from the full day sun.

heres a pic of it. I dug the hole and set it up myself!

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
marto
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.21(Fri)23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponds are mainly for goldfish & Koi. neons are tropical so you will need a heater. I'm not really sure it would work out. most ponds have a filter. my one doest and the goldfish are doing fine in green water.
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.21(Fri)23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the temp stays OK you should be fine. Make sure it dosent get to warm! At nearly 100 gallons I think the fish would be fine without a filter, as long as it is not stagnent. Floating plants would also help.

What I would do is put them out now, and collect them before it cools down in winter. If you are lucky you will be able to net out a bunch of fry as well some very fat adults.

Granted, you may not see them much in a pond, but I think its worth a shot.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.22(Sat)0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if I can have them out there. I would need to get a heater. and I am forbidon to use a normal tank heater. they definatly enjoy the mossie larvae. they're colours are amazing the daninos are getting a yello tint to there fins! anybody know were I can get a pond heater in aus?

andrew
2 winged demons
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.22(Sat)1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping fish outside in a pond both has its benefits and risks. You have to be sure their isn't a way for the fish to escape-like if you are in a flood basin. Also, you will have to be careful that your plants etc. etc. don't end up in local waterways or the fish. Australia, as you know already, has lost of problems with invasive species.

Also, for the above reasons and for convenience it is nice to be able to easily remove all the fish/progeny. If the pond has a filter it would be really simple to simply drain the pond and collect the fish. You wouldn't have to worry about missing any eather and having surprises come later. You should do this in fall to moce fish in for winter if necessary.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.22(Sat)1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I could get a heater I would keep it over 20'c or maybe over 18'C. then I could keep them in year round and they would breed like mad! I would be putting netting over the pond if I put fish in there along some shade cloth (only during summer) to keep the pond cool on hot days. just have to find a pond heater! anyway forget the pond heater. I was thinking of how to collect fish after they the whole living in the pond for the summer bit. I was thinking of just doing this. get some type of netting that the fish can't fit through. remove large objects from the pond. place netting down over entirety of the pond liner(side bottom ect). with a sandy bottom stir it up so the netting is under it. re add large objcects(logs slate) add fish. then when you want to get them back agian remove all the large objects and just lift the net up so the fish are caught in a small area of water. scoop them up in plastic containers(for reduced stress) or bags. take them back to there tank. I am thinking of trying that out when my next tank gets setup. I wreckon gouramis would do well in that kinda situation. as they can breath air when needed. what do you think?

andrew
2 winged demons
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.23(Sun)11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might work only you will have to get some kind of netting that will not decompose. Also, chances are a few danios could find their way over the netting while you are lifting it. What I ended up doing was draining the pond and the making a few passes with a net. Afterward I drained it almsot all the way I removed whatever I could find from the muck

Praps put the nettings rim outside the pond? That would be far easier/less time consuming than the method I used.

Babies will probably slip through the netting so their really isn't a way to get them all.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)5:37    Post subject: Outdoor pond Reply with quote

I would not have neons in outdoor pond for a number of reasons, one the water becomes very cold in Melbourne as neons need a heater, second the dianos will eat the neons and third reason is the Australian bird will eat the neons vry easy on their bright colours. There are nice australian fish liking the cold water have you look into galaxies and minnows. You will need to protect your fish in the fish pond from birds.

Hope your pond is successful
from Josh
mad about fish
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kept white cloud moutain minnows and zebra danios in a tub over the summer over the summer with sucess (twice as many were taken out as put in). even if your water does get down to 12 I excpect danios would be OK near the bottem of the pond
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: