Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Marine Species NOT for beginners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to the list of fish this beginner did not enjoy...the Strawberry Psuedochromis...very beautiful, stays small and is one of the most aggressive fish I have seen to date. Mine almost blinded my Purple Firefish, ate half the tail off of a Black Mollie and chased everyone unmercilessly. Of course, they are listed as only semi-aggressive, but they are much more than that.

I have a few friends that have these...I always wondered why they were in tanks all by themselves...now I understand. Here is the Drs. listing on this fish...not one word on their aggressive behavior on the main page...but listed as such in the extended details.

http://petsolutions.com/product.asp?pn=134100L&Strawberry+Pseudochromis=&bhcd2=1108081930

Avoid this very beautiful fish please.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have heard that before...
You know I never had that problem with those, but that's me.
They do seem to fade quickly however; a better choice would be P. Fridmani, the Orchid Dottyback; tank raised, fade resistant and usually less nasty:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=192
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.17(Thu)9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW over 600 views! I had no idea, thanks to everyone for your posted and private comments on this... also Marcos thanks for elevating to article status, hoping many aquarists (and fish!) will benefit.
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.17(Thu)9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

FloridaBoy,

I saw that MarkLehr said my suggestion for Green Chromis (in another thread about stocking a 30 gallon) wasn't good because green chromis don't do well in captivity, have you considered drafting an article: Marine Species Not For Anyone... EVER... or something to that effect?

I know the cleaner wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus) is another fish that shouldn't be kept in an aquarium do to the extremely low success rate... anyway, just an idea... Smile

I realize you have the cleaner wrasse in your article, but I had thought that even experienced fish keepers should stay away from them...
shewolfh2
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.20(Sun)23:54    Post subject: awesome Reply with quote

about time someone thought to do that. I commend you on the time you spent getting that information together. more people should look into what they are getting BEFORE they get it.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shewolf, the goal is to get this info in front of as many beginners as possible, hopefully saving some livestock in the process and creating lifetime hobbyists.
nwo
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.08(Fri)9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

great post

mods should this be a sticky???
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.08(Fri)12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its in the article section actually Smile

*filler for the filter*
DGoldense
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)17:32    Post subject: damsels Reply with quote

in your article you said that it was a bad idea to get multiple damselfish. I was puzzled by this because I have four damsels in my tank and I wanted to know if they will not introduce new fish into the tank well. I planned to add wimplefish to the tank. I have 1 blue devil damsel, 1 zebra damsel, and 2 yellow-bellied damsel.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)21:55    Post subject: Re: damsels Reply with quote

DGoldense wrote:
I have four damsels in my tank and I wanted to know if they will not introduce new fish into the tank well. I planned to add wimplefish to the tank. I have 1 blue devil damsel, 1 zebra damsel, and 2 yellow-bellied damsel.

Hmmm, well sorry but I am too am puzzled my friend, I'm not really sure what you wrote above, but I THINK what you are asking is if the damsels will create a problem for a new wimplefish; I don't think you will have a problem. Please notice my article was referring to aggression within identical groups, I.e. many times a beginner will purchase two or three identical yellow tail damsels, and drop all of them in a space smaller than the average territory for only ONE damsel, which can result in brutal, non-stop domination by the toughest fish. The heniochus should not be a problem either way,
keep an eye on the damsels for any issues; lots of variables here like size of tank, amount of hiding places, experiences will vary with living creatures.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: