Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
the danger of being in the hobby
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.15(Sat)5:46    Post subject: the danger of being in the hobby Reply with quote

OK well about 3 mins ago I was showin my mom my new mushroom. anyway it wasn't looking very good so I moved it to teh bottom of the tank where it was at first where it was happy. while doing that I had to remove the hood from teh tank. and of course I placed it ontop of my towl which I dry my nads with anway trying to manuver the hod without getting it wet while trying to get teh towl I spilled a container with tank water in it only about a little under a liter. this water then spilled down and landed nicely where two powercable connected. then the entire house went black. within those few secounds of the water falling I actually though omg I am going to die because of my own stupidity. luckily the house has a serge protecter or somthing so that if the electricity is grounded it gets shut off. anyway I scared the pants off myself and my mom. I still can't believe that I could have died from my own stupidity, I would have won a darwin award. anyway I never really thought much about that but know I am going to be puting in steps to prevent that from EVER happening agian even though the house has the safety thing. just wondering if many other people have things like this happen or think a lot about the possible hazards.

andrew
2 winged demons
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.01.15(Sat)11:57    Post subject: Can you spell GFI? Reply with quote

You need a GFI for that circuit. Walmart has a owerstrip that has a built in GFI ($12) and also a portable GFI ($Cool that you can put in the plug that leasds to the tank equipment. Or, if it is your own house, not an apartment, you can remove the wall outlet and put in a GFI protected circuit, but this means turning off main power and doing some real house wiring -- probably not something your mom will let you do.

Anytime you have water and electricity, you need a GFI. It is just too easy to drop a light fixture into the tank and got after it without thinking that you might electrocute yourself! The GFI will detect the current flow and shut if off before you fry.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.15(Sat)16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats waht what have thank god. the4 safety switch thing thats what I was talking about. still I was pretty shook up.

andrew
2 winged demons
GothicAvatar96
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.15(Sat)19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh that brought back memories of my old 18 watt hood falling into the sump of my reef . And out of reflex I plunged my hand into the water to get it . needless to say the resulting shock .. well shocking lol .never did that again
Hop1216
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.19(Wed)0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Posted: Sat Jan 15th, 16:49 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thats waht what have thank god. the4 safety switch thing thats what I was talking about. still I was pretty shook up

It may be time to get a new GFCI strip then. The power strip should have tripped before the circuit that caused the house to go black. Glad to hear you are Okay though!
trigun
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.19(Wed)16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power bars have circut fuses in them but not all of them do.The ones you buy for computers do there used in storms if the power lines get struk and causes a power surge the fuse will go off.I know they work because I wired a lamp before and I wired wrong and a spark flew out of the lamp and shut off the power in the house.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.22(Sat)1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an incandescent fixture fall halfway into a sweater box of greenwater. I grabbed it without thinking(and then thought...wait a second... Embarassed ) but luckily none of the "important" parts had gotten in contact with the water. Last time I'm doing that!
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.31(Mon)19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the top of a 6 step ladder, attempting to do aquarium maintainance for the top row of tanks in my stand. The moment I touched the tank I was hit with a shock that threw me off the ladder about 5 foot backwards onto a concerete floor in my basement.

I am still here to tell about it, but it really doesn't seem all that funny looking back on it. Shocked
FishyMitch
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.07(Mon)12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK imagine...You have a new tank you never tested it for leaks you ste it up fill it up and go out for the day the watere slowly dripps down the wire into the plug and seeps into the power socket. Then your house burstinto flames. Then a plane piloted by your fiance carrying all your family crashes into your un insured home and you have and incurable jungle desisese!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Mr. Coffee
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.12(Sat)8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitch, how is this related at all?

Something that is related...

A filter mishap in my old 33g. I took my filter out for cleaning because it was full of algae, then when I plugged it in I noticed the water level drop significantly. I shrugged and went out to grab lunch.

Well before you ask, I had the kind of filter that goes from the top-to-bottom of the tank. By the time I got back an hour later, I heard a loud whirring noise from my bedroom, where the tank was.

I discovered that the whirr was a filter with no water to filtrate. There was a huge pile of my dead fish on the bottom of the tank, no water in the tank, and a gigantic pile of water on my bedroom rug an inch away from an electrical socket. It was only then when I noticed a sizeable hole facing out of the tank in the main filter pipe.

Could have killed my house, yet only put me out of the hobby until about now...
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: