Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Beginner stocking question
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vandermark5
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.12(Wed)11:44    Post subject: Beginner stocking question Reply with quote

My daughter received a 5 gallon starter tank with a hang-off the back Whisper power filter for Xmas. We went to a local aquarium store and told them them we wanted some fish for the tank and were not planning (at this point) on having a heater. They gave us 3 small goldfish. Each one has a body size of approximately 1-1.25" inches (excluding tails). I am sorry but I do not know the types (one is black with bug eyes, one is orange, the last one is white and orange).

The question: after finding this amazing site and after perusing the articles/boarcs, etc., I am worried whether the fish have enough room. I realize that they are going to grow but larger 20 or 50 gallon tanks are not something we can accomodate in our house at this point. So, I guess what I am wondering is do they currently have enough room. If yes, at what point will they stop having enough room - when they reach 2 inches in size, or 3 inches, etc.

I hope my question is clear enough. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Francheska
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.01.12(Wed)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Goldfish are very big waste producers, so even at this size 5 gallon is way too small for the three of them. I suggest taking them back to the store and stocking your tank with some other fish. You may consider a small school of white clouds, as they tolerate cold-water conditions very well.
Hope this helps,
F.
vandermark5
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.12(Wed)12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks - much appreciated.

How many white clouds does a small school represent? What would be a suitable number for a 5 gallon tank?
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.12(Wed)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best choice for that size tank would be a male betta, or perhaps a few females. If you home is usually 70F or above, you'll be fine without a heater.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.12(Wed)17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with sherry. Unfortunately white clouds need a lot more swimming room than a 5g tank can provide. They may be small, but they are active.

I'd go with a betta to start off with IMO
vandermark5
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.12(Wed)22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. It looks like the Goldfish have to go. We keep a cool house, so the tank runs between 67-72 in the winter. Looks like we need to research this a bit and prepare our daughter for the change.

vandermark5
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.13(Thu)8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go ahead and buy a 25 watt heater which is what I have in my 5g tank.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.13(Thu)12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, an easier solution might be to get a 10 gallon tank, and keep 1 goldfish. That wouldn't be so bad, and 10 gallon tanks are about 10.00 at Wal-Mart.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.13(Thu)13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the 10g is completely bare bottomed with no decorations then it'll still be too small. For goldies I much prefer the stocking guide of 15g (20g is ideal though) for the first goldie and 10g each aditional one. 10gs are just a little too short IME.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.13(Thu)23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I agree that in 5 years it isn't going to do, but honestly, it isn't that bad (IMO), when you start with a young goldie, keep the temp low and the water changes up. But I do mean, one goldfish, that's it.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: