Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
help me make a new tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hi

PostPosted: 2003.02.10(Mon)17:51    Post subject: help me make a new tank Reply with quote

Hi I want to build a new tank right now I have a 10g with 3 dwarf gouramies and a baby angle soon to get another. So I am going to build a new tank for when the angles grow up. But there is a proublem I hav no idea what to do(and yes I have ready the one where someone is making a 55g.) The one I want to make si 15in tall, 19in deep, and 20 in long. If I should go biger, I can't make it any longer but can make it a little deeper and taller. Can enyone help me?
SolidBrass

PostPosted: 2003.02.11(Tue)7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider carefully the cost of materials. Making a tank sounds simple, but in reality, lots of things will drive up the cost quickly. I have built my own SMALL tanks. Once you start getting over about 10 gallons, the materials cost accelerates rapidly. At $100 US or less, you can own a 55 gallon tank. Compare this with the cost of the glass thick enough to do th job, the cost of cutting the glass if you can't do it yourself, the time involved in putting it together, and the cost of possible failure. I have never tried acrylic, but from what I see, the costs will be similar. It is fun to build your own, but not always cost effective.

PostPosted: 2003.02.11(Tue)9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

at what size does the cost of supplies to build a tank out weight the cost of buying one.
Hi

PostPosted: 2003.02.11(Tue)17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I don't just buy a new (very big) tank is because I am not old enough to have a real job and if I got a huge tank (55g) I would have to get a new table. Thats lots of money. And my mom won't let me. So I want to build one that will fit one the table perfectly, that my 10g is on now. One more qustion. What do I seal the edges of the aquarium. Some sort of rubber right. Well thanks for your help.
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.02.12(Wed)18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wrote:
The reason I don't just buy a new (very big) tank is because I am not old enough to have a real job and if I got a huge tank (55g) I would have to get a new table. Thats lots of money. And my mom won't let me. So I want to build one that will fit one the table perfectly, that my 10g is on now. One more qustion. What do I seal the edges of the aquarium. Some sort of rubber right. Well thanks for your help.

They make 'extra tall' 20 gallon tanks. They have the dimensions of two 10 gallon tanks stacked on top of each other. This would let you keep the same table, and the same hood/light that you have on your 10 gallon, but give the angelfish ample growing room. Not to discourage you, but unless you have a parent that's a glass cutter or is very, very handy with guilding things (and has a lot of expensive tools lying around) I'd start asking for chores and jobs to save up the money for an extra tall 20.

PostPosted: 2003.02.13(Thu)7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took so long to get back. The previous post says most of what my thoughts are, especially if you are not handy with tools and glass. As for when the benefits of one method outweighs those of another, it is purely a matter of comparing prices in your area. For example, the last time I bought a 10 gallon tank, it was less than $9 at Walmart. A 55 gallon was only $89 at Petsmart during the Christmas holidays. I paid $125 for a 75 gallon last summer and $4 for a 5 gallon this fall. For the larger tanks, 3/8 or 1/2 inch glass is very expensive, hard to cut, and is usually tempered. Leave it to professionals to do the cutting even if you can do the rest of the work. Believe me, I understand your desires. I started aquariums when 7 years old, funded them almost entirely by myself. I bought what I could afford, such as 2 gallon tanks, and feeder fish. As I got older and wanted more, I mowed lawns, took out trash, ran errands, and cleaned storage areas around the neighborhood to get a little extra. I sold or traded baby fishes and snails to get plants and food, etc. I'm 55 now and I still love my hobby.
Hi

PostPosted: 2003.02.13(Thu)16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys I will look at the 20g BroBro told me about and look at the other stuf
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.02.13(Thu)22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I'd spend a lot of time looking for aquaria stores that are going out of business. My friend picked up a 55 G for under $25!! Shocked Good luck!!

PS The sealant is silicone (aquarium)
Brobro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.02.24(Mon)14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks guys I will look at the 20g BroBro told me about and look at the other stuf

I havent made a post in this topic yet. its OK though, cause now I did. Razz

I would agree with skysong, you can get big tanks for very cheap. I got a 65 gallon tank with a metal stand for $150 for both combined.

Jane
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.02.24(Mon)18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

check e-bay too always local tanks on there for my area.

What kind of table is this? Remember your adding twice the weight of your old tank are you sure it can take it?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: