Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
ideal glass for home made aquarium
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balaboy05
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.09(Sun)1:18    Post subject: ideal glass for home made aquarium Reply with quote

I am determined to build my own 90g aquarium and will need to send specs to the company for a price quote. I have read a few diy guides on how to assemble the aquarium and what materials to use. No where have I read what kind of glass to use I.e. tempered or laminated glass and for where on the tank these elements go.
On All-Glass Aquariums web site it says they construct there tanks with laminated glass for the sides and a tempered sheet for the bottom pane. Is this a scheme I should use or what.

Can anybody share there experience making a tank from scratch or give the address to a descriptive diy guide? Any input would be appreciated.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.01.10(Mon)10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yes, I remember having a similar urge when I was in high school.
I did it and it worked. You want salvaged plate glass (not safety glass, not tempered) look for 1/4 inch thick for up to 20 inches of height. I found my glass at an old builder's warehouse in a large sheet for 10 bucks. I had the glass cut at a glass company (do not cut the glass, you have been warned).
Make sure the sides are cut so they sit on top of the base. The ends need to be cut so they fit inside the front and back pieces. Also make sure you add a glass cross brace at the top on both sides and the middle.
You can assemble the glass with DOW silicone in the large caulk tube.
Clear only, no white or black silicone.
NOTE: if you want a standard 90 gal height you will need 1/2 inch glass.
NOTE: you will miss the plastic molded trim at the top, trust me... although my 40 gallon was a success, I do not recommend this... my suggestion is to save your money and purchase the tank new, you won't regret it. What you will regret, is watching 90 gallons of water and fish flop around on your floor if this DYI leaks. Good luck!
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: