Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Using an AC200 as a CO2 reactor.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.02(Wed)19:56    Post subject: Using an AC200 as a CO2 reactor. Reply with quote

I know that some people will feed their CO2 through the filter intake for a CO2 reactor. I was thinking along the same lines with the exception that the airstone be placed into the filter underneath the filter media. Perhaps this is already used by others but I couldn't find any other info about this on the net.

I currently use 2 sponges with no activated carbon or other media. I was going to make a DIY reactor but this idea works on the same principal and I thought I would save myself the time. The CO2 bubbles get caught in the sponges and the upward current helps dissolve the CO2 into the water.

One thing I'm wondering is if the added CO2 to the filter might harm any of the bactarial colonies? If this is the case I'm going to have to scrap the idea and just make a reactor.

Let me know your input if you see any problems with this or if you think it will work. Any help is appreciatedl, thanks in advance.
Zurvan
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.02(Wed)21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that putting the CO2 in to the filter, just before it flows in to the water, you would lose a lot through air exchange. I'm not a chemistry whiz, but I seem to remember reading that CO2 is exchanged for oxygen at the water surface... the more surface area, the more CO2 is lost & oxygen picked up. And if you have an AC filter, the water has a lot of surface area as it flows back in to the tank.

I may be way off on this, but it's just my first impression.
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.04.02(Wed)22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always worked for me, personally, whether I first reduce the size of the bubbles entering the intake with an air stone, or I fed the air line tubing straight into the filter. It obviously is not the most efficient method due to the effect Zurvan mentioned, but if you raise the level of the water very high to reduce agitation from the outflow, even a DIY system will attain good dissolution of CO2 into the water.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.03(Thu)8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking along the lines of putting it underneath my theree sponges in the filter.

This way the bubbles will be trapped in and under the sponges allowing the upward flow of water to dissolve the bubbles into the water.

Along with maintaining the water level high enogh hopefully the surface agitation will be kept to a minimum.

I'll let you know what the outcome is today when I get home. I'll test my water to see if the CO2 levels will be any higher than they usually are.
Jay
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.03(Thu)19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today after testing the water and using the CO2 chart found at http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/KH-pH-co2-chart.html I found my CO2 concentrations to be 17-18ppm. There was a signifigant increase from when I let the bubbles rise to the surface. Based on previous tests the concentraton has raised by about 9ppm.
Zurvan
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.03(Thu)21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I stand corrected.

Good luck with your tank!
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.03(Thu)22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you planning on hooking your airstone up to a reactor or just a normal pump?

Edit: Just wondering, because my friend in because claims a plain pump gets the job done, but I don't believe him. Wouldn't an airstone increase oxygen??
Jay
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.04(Fri)16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skysong, the airstone is connected to a DIY CO2 2L bottle. So there is no pump.

It is true that and airstone hooked up to a external pump will airate that water and thus increase the oxygen.
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.04(Fri)19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think I was misunderstood. I was stating that my friend was saying that a plain airstone would increase carbon dioxide, not oxygen.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: