Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
how many gallons for koi?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: 2003.04.02(Wed)17:48    Post subject: how many gallons for koi? Reply with quote

Hwo many gallons do you need to keep 1 or 2 koi? Thanks
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.02(Wed)18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the like a lot of room, I currently have a 112g with 2-? amount of koi, Its a pond, and they are black, can't see them very well, and a goldfish. I don't recomend anything less because as koi get HUGE and when they outgrow their enviornment they don't just get stunted growth, they leap out of the water onto the land looking for a larger body of water, when they don't find it, they die.

So nothing smaller than 100g, and I would recommend larger than that.
Prowlus
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.28(Mon)17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sure about carp doing that? Never knew they had labyrinth organs Laughing
BHantalope

PostPosted: 2003.04.28(Mon)17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that wormo was saying that the fish jump out, thinking it is a stream or something and will find a larger body of water next to the pond. I am almost sure that they don't have labrynth organs. When they jump out on to the land they just die. I lost a few from my 250g pond that way, I overstocked it the first summer or two, then the fish got huge and jumped. They ended up dead because they can't breath out of the water, and they didn't find any other bodies of water.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.28(Mon)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prowlus, they die because they have no water in which to breathe. Most fish jump out, most find out they can't live outside water the hard way. No labyrinth organs.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.28(Mon)21:13    Post subject: 300 G not enough Reply with quote

I had 3 kio and some goldfish in 300 gallons, after a long time the goldfish all died, leaving me with 3 koi. Eventually two jumped overboard, leaving me with one about 10 inches long.

Even one koi in 300 gallons is a bad fit. They swim so well that the 5 foot pond gave him no exercise at all. If he got scared, he would jump overboard. Once I found him in the rain 4 feet from the pond, almost stiff, but he lived.

I think that a koi needs at least 10 or 12 feet of swimming distance minimum. So, 10 by maybe 6 by 3 would be (10 x 6 x 3 x 7.5) = 1350 gallons, or 1000 if it hd sloping sides or shelves or an odd shape. Then, you could fit more than one in that size, maybe 3 or 4 or 5, I don't know, it depends on the filteration and climate, maybe more.

But don't even bother trying it in a tank, except as a temporary thing maybe.
Carol
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.03(Sat)20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koi don't like tanks.
They grow very large (up to 30") believe it or not. They can grow as much as 9inches a year.
They like to swim a lot and they love to eat a lot.
They need oxygen and water flow.
They need constant water changes.
High maintenance fish but very lovely.
Carol
ACE125
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.04(Sun)10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with anonapersona, I would says 1000 gallons is about the minimum to keep a happy adult koi. And you could keep 2-3 in a pond that size. We have 5 in 2000 gallons with some comets (pond goldfish). Koi can reach half there adult size in 2 years! Thats 12-16 inches, which is getting close to being too big for a 6 ft tank.
jhny
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.10(Sat)15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info, I can say buh-bye to having 2 koi in a 90g

LOL!!!!
jhny
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.10(Sat)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, this might sound stupid but is there any sub- species (could be possible, tempt your self not to laugh.lol.) of koi that grow smaller that what mentioned above?

PS: The very first post was me, couldn't log in, Sorry
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: