Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I want to see the "Forest Look" go out of style
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.01(Sat)21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laskey wrote:
Yea, individual fish-only competitions wouldn't be my thing either. You're not arguing against me, actually. You're proving the point I'm trying to make, which is, "Why not more balance and variety?"

Actually I think I am arguing against you. It's one thing to state "a fish-only competition isn't my style" which is perfectly valid as an expression of your personal preference, but it's a completely different thing to state "Why can't this competition have more balance and variety?". The obvious answer is: because then it would be a different competition!

The message that's being passed by your arguments, and to which everyone seems to be contesting, is that you're looking at some aquascaping contest site where BY DEFINITION the focus *is* on the plants, and complaining that those people shouldn't be focusing so much on the plants! That's like going to a soccer game and complaining that the players should have more "balance and variety" and not just keep trying to get the ball into the goal as many times as they can...
Laskey2
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.01(Sat)23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Sorry guys, my account started screwing up yesterday)...

The last few explanations made your points very well. Thanks for being patient with me. I wish there were ways to see examples of tanks I'd like to see more of, but I guess an aquascaping contest is an aquascaping contest. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere besides contests, for my tank ideas, then. Thanks again! No hard feelings, I hope. Laskey Smile
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.01.02(Sun)7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laskey,
Check the "Your Tanks" section here... particularly December '03.
Look at the sparse and medium examples... be sure to follow the link for Gareth's site, planted homes for loaches! How is that for interesting fish?
FWIW many of Amano's tanks are open/sparse.... if you don't count the ground cover ;^) Also check out the contests at The AGA's Site... not all of the tanks are "forests". Keep some food and drink nearby... you will be browsing for quite some time.
The "forest look" is hardly a fad. It has been around far longer than many of the members here... it is also known as Dutch Style Aquariums ;^)
For more ideas most forums, fish and planted have a Gallery section... be sure to check some of those out as well. Not every one with aquatic green thumbs does the forest look ;^)

Fred
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: