Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tsunami death toll tops 116,000
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.04(Tue)10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a story that gives some hope...

Tsunami survivor rescued after nine days in miracle at sea
By Rita Zahara, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : A 20-year-old Indonesian from West Aceh has beaten all odds and survived not just the earthquake and tsunami but also nine days adrift in the Indian Ocean.

The crew of a container ship travelling from Cape Town to Port Klang found Rizal Sahputra standing on a floating tree some 100 miles west off Aceh at 5.20 pm Indonesian time on Monday.

He had been washed into the sea by huge waves and survived by drinking rain water and clinging to the tree trunk.

The ship is expected to dock at Port Klang early Wednesday morning.

An official from the shipping company in Singapore gave this account to Channel NewsAsia.

Said Captain Lucas Chong, general manager at ASP Ship Management Singapore, "The navy team officers spotted this floating tree with a man standing on it. He appeared to be frantically waving so we immediately reported to the captain. The captain came out to the bridge and manoeuvred to the floating tree and definitely confirmed that there was a human being alive and they quickly decided to conduct a rescue operation. They did by throwing a life buoy towards the tree trunk.

"This survivor still has his last minute power to jump onto this life buoy, swim onto it and then we pulled the life buoy into the ship and then (he was) picked up by our crew."

He added: "He was found to be very dehydrated, very weak and obviously very hungry. So the captain provided first aid, provided some soft food, water, water glucose and immediately reported to us.

"The feeling from our office of course is very happy that at least on humanitarian grounds, one of our ships has done something good; but as far as the survivor is concerned, it is very very miraculous indeed." - CNA
FishyMitch
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.07(Fri)12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonamethefish wrote:
Looking at this disaster at a different angle. When I heard the news I was curious/concerned about the reefs and fish there as they often provide protection for the coast against waves. Apparently they didn't do to well. Along with some 100,000 human lives the wave has devastated the surrounding coral reefs and it is said that it may require a very long time to recover. Sad

yes a lot of th islanders died because before a tsunami comes the tide goes out far and apparently you could sea the reef which the islanders had never seen before and stared in fascination and...you know the rest.

Exclamation Must have had something to do with global warming the publics not being told all it should be... Exclamation
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.01.07(Fri)13:15    Post subject: Basic education needs Reply with quote

I read that a 10 year old girl from Brittain saved about 100 people on the resort beach. When she saw the tide go out, she raised the alarm.

She had just weeks earlier done a report at school on tsunami and knew that the departing tide meant a huge wave was coming. She and her mother alerted the hotel staff and they cleared the beach, no lives were lost at that resort, though hundreds were lost along neighboring beaches.

Now, every fisherman ought to know that. Every schoolchild near a beach ought to know that. Every beach resort manager and every harbor town mayor ought to know that.
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.08(Sat)7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you anonapersona, that they should know the signs of a disaster like this. Even if it's highly unlikely, where it is possible for such a disaster to happen, staff working in the area should be aware of such signs as part of their training. Hopefully people will learn from this, but most likely won't do anything of the sort, relying only on new installed technology, and forgetting about common human knowlegde, and how it can help.

Phil Wink
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.08(Sat)8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that after everthing has somewhat recovered in that area whats left of the relief money should go to a tsunami detection system that sets alarms off if it senses a large wave or something a alarm that goes off if theres been a large earthquake that could have made a tsunami. also if you think that tsunami was a problem I hope all the people in western united states know that a certain canairy island might soon partly fall into the sea creating a super tsunami that will wipe out the west coast. heres an article about it http://www.rense.com/general13/tidal.htm . so if you can imagine the devistation from a simple earthquake created tsunami the devistation from a landslide tsunami(a super tsunami) will be worse. hopefully the western coast of america will be warned if La Palma has any valcanic activity as during the next erruption or any one in the future could make it fall into the ocean. I only hpe that the majority of the people living on the western side of america and canda get a good warning before the tsunami hits.

andrew

andrew
2 winged demons
Clare
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.10(Mon)4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Slackra

OK I checked out that link and, to be honest, it seemed like so much alarmist scare-mongering. The whole of the East African Rift Valley COULD break off Africa - it's a geologically active area and continental drift is already causing it to separate... but that doesn't mean it's GOING to. So, talking about it as though it's an imminent possibility is futile. Much better to worry about the environment than geological factors - at least we have the potential to change how we affect the environment - ain't Jack Squat we can do about large-scale tectonic movement!

Be very wary of sites purporting to have scientific information that do not cite exactly where they got the information from. In my experience as a tutor and lecturer, half the BS students spout in their essays comes from dodgy internet sites. Now, if that same article had appeared in the online versions of Nature or Science, I would be more impressed. The major criterion you should look out for when ascertaining the veracity of online information that is presenting itself as factual, is whether or not it appears in a PEER-REVIEWED journal or some such RELIABLE source. Peer-reviewing allows other reputable academics to tell if something is BS or legit.

Don't allow the SE Asian tragedy to make you panicky about this sort of thing. Sorry if I'm in lecture-mode, but there is a lot of info out there that should be taken with a good dose of salt.

And WRT the 'early-warning' system - it ain't no good. Absolute waste of money in terms of warning, only useful for long-term data collection. That tsunami was travelling at 700 mph, and crossed 1500 km of ocean in under 2 hours. Please tell me how you are supposed to evacuate MILLIONS of people in that short a time-frame? Remember the film DEEP IMPACT, where all the people fleeing the cities got caught in a 50-mile long traffic snarl? Well, that was a hypothetical situation in a first world country with good infrastructure. Imagine how much worse the 3rd world is to evacuate.

Many of the victims were actually killed when they went back to the beach to have a look, and were killed by the subsequent waves from the aftershocks. Rubbernecking is very bad for you, in other words. That little girl did more to save lives at her resort with simple common sense, than any high-tech transmission/ warning system would do.

The tsunami was a tragedy, but it was also an unavoidable act of nature. No matter how advanced our technology, we are still at the mercy of Mother Nature.

Ironically, the devastation and death toll was less in the areas where the mangroves were still intact, and deforestation was not extensive. Having the natural coastal and littoral vegetation in place instead of a bunch of fancy resorts would've helped immensely. When the reconstruction starts properly, they should seriously look at how they are going to rehabilitate the environment, not simply rebuild all the hotels.

Hubris? I think so.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.10(Mon)5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say it was for sure to happen just that it COULD happen. also cool your jets. wow I didn't know this would turn into a heated discussion. I was just saying that having some sortof detetion system would give them a chance to get to high ground. it would create some chaos but at least some lives would be saved. also a cricket game at the mcg has raised 8million.

andrew
2 winged demons
Clare
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.10(Mon)5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm not mad!! Smile Sorry, that may have come on a little strong there, I didn't mean to get all lectureish. I just have a rather cynical outlook - I honestly don't believe that high-tech warnings help when you have a third world infrastructure. I live in South Africa and one of the biggest headaches facing us today is simply improving service delivery - and that's in normal everyday life, not an emergency. Maybe living in such a wonderful first world country obscured your view of how difficult things can be out in the rest of the world (and I've been to Aus so I know how great it is there Very Happy ) I'm not suggesting you're being unrealistic - it would probably work in Aus, you guys have the facilities. What I'm saying is that there is a more fundamental problem in SE Asia (and I've been there too) - they're having difficulty getting aid out to those in need because the infrastructure is poor. Baby steps, in my view.

Sorry if I flew off the handle Embarassed

BTW I watched some of the game this morning, but I didn't catch the result - score update pls? And well done for raising so much money (well, not you personally of course Wink )
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.10(Mon)20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

they raised 14mil the row team won. sadly the asia team was crushed. I think they got over 150 and row got 300 somthing. I agree the main problem is getting stuff where its needed. and now they only way to really do that is to fly it in or by boat. I am simply amazed at the money thats being raised. the world actually is doing somthing to help people they don't know. its amazing and fantastic

andrew
2 winged demons
weejoy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.20(Thu)15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I honestly don't believe that high-tech warnings help when you have a third world infrastructure.

I think that view is too pessimistic. In some of the affected countries cell phone use is extremely high, a warning over the cell network could have helped 1000s get to higher ground, for many it wasn't a matter of needing to jump in a car and drive for miles to risk getting stuck in a traffic jam, for many just climbing on the roof might have helped.

In some really poor countries the ease and cheapness of wireless networks has made cell phone technology far more entrenched than in some so called "first world" countries with good old fashioned copper wire infrastructure. It would be a cheap and simple matter to send mass messages to handsets in the event of a disaster like this one. Such a system in place could have improved people's odds quite considerably.

Slackra the Pacific and the Atlantic do have detection systems. The Indian Ocean does not because the surrounding countries are poorer. However the Boxing Day Tsunami was detected, by US scientists, but there were no lines of communication that could have got a warning out in time and in one of their famous quotes on the matter they said something along the lines of "we didn't know who to call".

ciao
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: