Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tsunami death toll tops 116,000
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.30(Thu)10:41    Post subject: Tsunami death toll tops 116,000 Reply with quote

please take a moment of your time to pray for the victims and families... if you like to help you should be able to make a donation via your local red cross organization.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/30/asia.quake/index.html'
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.30(Thu)10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

rijac, I meant to ask you... how did singapore fair during the tsunami?

my friend just sent me an email, he's in penang, he said gurney (sp?) drive was decimated...
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.30(Thu)10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillageIdiot wrote:
rijac, I meant to ask you... how did singapore fair during the tsunami?

my friend just sent me an email, he's in penang, he said gurney (sp?) drive was decimated...

sgp is protected by sumatra.. so we only felt some minor tremors. gurney drive, tanjung bunga... all were hit... but malaysia was the least impacted...
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.30(Thu)13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear your safe! we are praying for the people in thailand, sri lanka, india, and malaysia!
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.30(Thu)16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tsunami has been all over the news in australia as many of the countries hit are our neighbours. we heard on the radio and on the news that people had called for the money used for the fireworks display on new years to be sent to the cause. unfortuanatly peopl had already been paid and contracts signed ect. I can tell the the situation must be a literal nightmere by the looks on the faces of the australian survivors being interviewed when the arived back in aus. I hope that the situation gets better and there are no large desiese outbreaks and that the people of southern asia can get back on there feet again. I also hope that the worlds tourists don't get afriad of visting the places effected due to this disaster as by not going there we are depriving them of a large source of income.

andrew
2 winged demons
LBC
Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.31(Fri)1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLACkra wrote:
I can tell the the situation must be a literal nightmere by the looks on the faces of the australian survivors being interviewed when the arived back in aus.

andrew

You have keen senses Andrew. My prayers and thoughts go out to all the Australian survivors.

There has really been an outcry of support from my community and it tears me up to think of the hardships people are living. Best wishes to all that need it.
lighter
Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.31(Fri)3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news that so many thousands of people just die like that...
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.01(Sat)0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at this disaster at a different angle. When I heard the news I was curious/concerned about the reefs and fish there as they often provide protection for the coast against waves. Apparently they didn't do to well. Along with some 100,000 human lives the wave has devastated the surrounding coral reefs and it is said that it may require a very long time to recover. Sad

www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk...em.php?news=533
(Copy and paste link)

Nature can be a cruel master.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.01(Sat)0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't metion the whole reef being destroyed thing because I thought it would be a little in sensitive of the situation of the human survivors to be concered about the reef though I am. I hope they were devistated and that they re grow nicely to attract tourists once everything is under control. the look on the australian survivors was horrible. like they were tied down unable to do anything while people around them died and were injured. they had metal health people at the airports to help them to get over seeing things so horrible like seeing bodies floating around. the situation is horrible. and from what I hear the main problem at the moment is not getting things to send to them its getting the stuff to the people. sadly with all the dead I think there going to have to abandon the identifing of corpses and do mass graves or mass cremation. my heart goes out the survivors,

andrew
2 winged demons
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.04(Tue)8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have family in Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia. All are safe though thank god! A few people from my town Southend in the UK have been found dead in Phuket though....such a shame I was in Phuket last year and it looked gorgeous.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: