Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
transfering fish from established tank to new tank
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balaboy05
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.22(Wed)21:01    Post subject: transfering fish from established tank to new tank Reply with quote

Hey everybody!
This is my first post and I am glad to be apart of this awesome website. Anyway I started keeping fish sometime in September in my dorm room. I have a 20g freshwater tank with:tetra whisper heater(10-30)g cap,aquaclear mini filter(I added an NH3filter insert),compressor/bubblestone. I currently have 2 Balasharks and 1 marbled angel(they get along!) and last but not least 1 snail. I feed them frozen SFBayCo. community blend and flakes(flakes mostly eaten by the angel but I'm teaching the balas to eat them as well). Just as winter break came, Dec.9, just as my tank began to run with any harmony at all, I have to leave.

Here is where my problem comes in. Since I live 240 miles away from school and winter break is upon me, I decided to take my fish and my equipment up to my house with me. My parents were good enough to have a 10g tank I have, filled and ready for my fish. In my haste to leave, I left the water in my 20g there to sit for a month,stagnant. So, my question is this...
How should I handle this situation? Should I clean the gravel, replace most of the stale water? Any input would be greatly appreciated. My fish are hanging tough through out this experience so far but I can't help but be worried for my fish since the trauma is only half over and perhaps the biggest hurtle still to come.
Jimbob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.24(Fri)4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first impression is that there are a couple of issues here that need to be addressed apart from the water problem.

Bala sharks need a much bigger tank, even through they may be robust and not at their full adult size (12inches plus) they will not grow properly in tanks less than 55g.

If your circumstances mean you will be having to transport you fish around on a regular basis and neither of your tanks are big enough you could consider finding a suitable home for the sharks until you have a more permanent place for them - before you return from the winter break

Have a look at the rest of the board for occupants that might be more suitable for your tank size and circumstances. hth Wink
Balaboy05
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.29(Wed)17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jimbob,
sorry it took so long to reply. My fish though growing steadily should be OK in my 20g for the next 3months. Definitely going to keep the balas. I have carefully considered what you said and have decided to upgrade my tank. My dad works for a custom glass company(lucky for me) so if the price is right I will build a 90g aquarium for the summer.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: