Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Who got you started in the hobby?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encipher
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.10(Mon)16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when I was little my dad had a 70 gallon salt water tank, which I didn't pay much attention to. Then he made a pond in the backyard, which I found more interesting (as in finding bugs and tossing them in to be eaten by the comets or catching minnows/bullfrogs at the local lake).

Then, when I moved in my with mom, I got a dog. No interest whatsoever in fish. The dog turned into a dog and cat. Then another cat. Then fostering dogs and cats. Oh, and then 4 more cats (two were dumped on us personally, one was found on college campus, and the other was completely wild, caught with a trap).

It wasn't until I got a job at a lfs in April that I had any interest in fish at all. And that was only because I wasn't allowed to have any other animals. It started with a 29 gal. starter kit. Then a 10 gal walmart kit. It just goes on and on.

Now, people either love talking to me (because I sincerely know what I'm talking about) or go find someone else (because I won't sell them an oscar for a 10 gallon tank). I haunt several LFS and know employees by name and I'm learning more all the time. This summer I get a 78 gallon tank, which will probably be a very large community tank (emptying out the tanks I have now and opening them up for new fish).
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.10(Mon)20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame my addiction on tv. since I was a little kid we had a 20g I was interested in but not much. anyway I was watching tv and it was a local thingy on animals (vancouver local) and they showed these amazing freshwater tanks and saltwater. anyway I just had to sayto myself "I could do that" along with not having many friends at the time(I moved schools not far but school was a drag) I decided to start learning. lucky me my first tank I got to tamper with was a very old 20g! I worked on it and eventually it turned into a fantastic planted tank no co2 or high lighting, no algae problems wonderful tank. then being at a new school and having hardly any friends got me down and I was looking at saltwater so my parents baught me an eclipse system 3 with 32g tall tank and stand. started out as a fo then fowlr then I got shrooms and shrimp and hermits. I found aquahobby after I started working on my 20g and I had heaps of help form you guys to thanks Smile .

andrew
2 winged demons
dan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.11(Tue)18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best friend offered me a 50g tank about 12 years ago when we were room mates> So I took him up on it. He told me to add a few fish wait a while then add more. Sooooooo Knowing nothing about proper fish care and aided by the unknowledgable pet store employees I started my collection of fish. I like unusual things so I bought the wierdest/brightest and stragest things. Also with my lack of knowledge I kept the fish stocked, so that there was a lot to see, way way too many fish and never thought twice about the sensitive species only living 6-12 months. I have one loach that made it from year one that is still going strong, my roomate bought him because he was gold and greenish striped and it reminded him of the GB Packers Rolling Eyes
Years later I learn what nitrate is and tested it. I felt very cruel and ashamed, it was off the chart and this was after I had started to pay more attention and change the water every month or so. Back then I treated the fish like neat little nick nacks that I would pay attention to when I felt like it. Now my fish are very well taken care of and I try to keep the tanks well under stocked. It makes me sad to think of all the wild caught fish and captive breed fish that are living a manmade hell Sorry to bring it down but many first time keepers probably do the same thing.
Its so cool that in todays day their are sites like this great one to help educate, not only for the peoples sake even more for the animals.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: