Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Who got you started in the hobby?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunnie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.23(Thu)10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband got a 20 gal long aquarium at a garage sale for $5.00 and decided he wanted fish in it. He bought 20 feeder goldfish, and you know what happened there. We then bought a 10 gal kit from walmart, and I started reading up on the forums. I kept telling him things he should be doing to keep the fish alive, and he didn't listen. Then we had a bet on who could keep their fish alive the longest! Well, that was 2 years ago, and I now have 4 tanks in my living room and 1 at work! Of course I do all the feeding and tank maintenance, and hubby gets the free ride Very Happy . He is amazed at how healthy all our fish are, and now sees how interesting fish are, and that they require proper maintenance to have really cool tanks and healthy fish! Wink
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.23(Thu)12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first tank was a 30g discus... a disaster that I'm ashamed of, no aquahobby back then to enlighten me either... Sad

after that, my pops and I kept a 60g marine to much better results...

I'm just getting back into the hobby after an 8yr hiatus... Smile
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.23(Thu)23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 2 gallon hex tank for xmas with some neons. I was like 7 and didn't know any better. they actually lived for about 2 years then I got a betta. the betta lived for 3 years. when I was little my parents had a huge planted tank(100 gallons) but with 3 kids they didn't have the time to do the upkeep and sold it all to a local breeder. they had about a monster school of neons, some angelfish and some catfish in there. after the betta died I packed everything up until this last spring when my parents got me a 29 gallon because I had been talking about fish so much since my gf got a gecko and was always getting stuff at the LPS I always went an looked at the fish and rekindled the interest.
marto
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.23(Thu)23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

during the early 90's my family had goldfish in a bowl. they keeped dying so we gave it up. In 1999 we made a pond in the backyard and since then we have keeped goldfish. This year I wnated to start keeping fish in tanks s a kind family friend of ours gave me a 80 gallon tank. within 3 months I have keeped goldfish, wcmm, zebra danio, guppy, snails, red wag platy, otos & cory
jixie
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.24(Fri)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bettas!

My parents let me get a betta... and then another... and then another... at one point there were 7 of them, each in their own 1.5 to 5 gallon bowls. Later I upgraded to 5 - 10 gallon tanks, and the bettas came and went over the years and I never really kept anything else. I didn't get into larger or community tanks until my family was given a 55 with fish already in it. That tank is still a work in progress. In the mean time it spawned off a smaller tank (20 gallon) where I can indulge in my love of little labyrinth fishes.

Jixie
Stealth_ninjaJoel
Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.28(Tue)21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I started out fishing and fly fishing from an early age, and always loved it. But I didn't start to keep fish until some friends and I all got bettas, then I got the bug. I killed off my first dozen fish because I didn't quarantine a new addition Crying or Very sad but I was interested in how to do better the second time (never got finrot in my tanks again). I started to breed guppies soon after, and then caught the aquascaping bug. Now I'm researching reef tanks. Gosh it's been a good five years of fishkeeping Very Happy
Nova_C
Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.29(Wed)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has a 60g tank that I enjoy watching, but never really found his fish interesting (5 silver dollars, 3 guarmis, 2 black skirt tetras and a yoyo). I started getting into piranhas and decided to get a piranha tank. The cost of something that large prevented me, however, but now I have a 55g with a few silvertips, a bala shark (Found one dead this morning, started with 3 last week - one came already sick from the lfs) and cory and a bichir. Love the bichir. Hope to grow a school of balas, though. Anyway, my plans keep getting bigger and bigger. I just hope I get an income to support how much I'm enjoying the hobby. After seeing a couple of clown fish in a lfs, I know I have to turn my 55g into a marine tank for those once I get the 125g for the fish I have now. Oh, and I'm still hellbent on getting a Rhombeus someday.

55g:
3 x Silvertip Tetra 1" (?)
2 x Red Bellied Piranha 4"
jackie
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.02(Sun)13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I was a little girl my mother bought me a goldfish bowl with two fish (goldie and blackie). Goldie lived for 7 years in that little bowl!!! a couple of months ago when we were in the petstore I bought a bowl and a couple of goldfish... they didn't last long Crying or Very sad so when I replaced them I looked up on the internet and saw that goldfish should never be kept in bowls! I ran out to the lfs and bought a 5g tank immediatley, then got home looked some more and found that 5g is way too small Embarassed . then it all started.. right now I have a 40g pond, 33g community tank, and the 5g. since I have found this site I have had 0 fish deaths. ty aquahobby
mame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.02(Sun)17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I was little, I saw a saltwater puffer, in grand display in a main
tank next a restaruant we were eating at, it had all those beautiful spikes
and big eyes like saucers, I still think that was my first experience with
fish that got me hooked.
Laskey2
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.03(Mon)1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd had aquariums and fish bowls as kids, and it's just something I always wanted to come back to. When I grew up and moved out, I had an aquarium, but I had to give it away as I was moving very far away. We've traveled too much to be able to really start a fishtank and expect to keep it for long. Then my husband got a job that would mean we wouldn't be moving for a long time. Unfortunately where we are located, the winters are pretty dark and I get really moody from it. Last October, just out of nowhere, the thought of an aquarium came to me. My husband surprised me with this one for my birthday. I was so excited to get into what I believe is such a beautiful, interesting hobby again. I can sit for hours sometimes, just looking at the little "sunny" tropical world in there that makes me forget that it's winter, and enjoy the work I've put into it. Since finding sites like this one (and especially this one) I have learned how to actually care for these little fish a lot better and have learned about other kinds of interesting fish that I otherwise wouldn't have sought after and bought, such as loaches. Their antics and the personalities of my fish are the perfect antidote for a dull, dark day.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: