Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Who got you started in the hobby?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FightTheGDFight
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.22(Wed)4:36    Post subject: Who got you started in the hobby? Reply with quote

I was just curious how everyone became involved with the hobby. Personally, it was my dad that got me started in the fish hobby. Granted my dad wasn't familiar with the science behind the hobby, I am still greatful that he has introduced me to his own hobby. He has since passed away, and I grown in deeper to the hobby. I was just curious who the other members on this board interested with aquariums.
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.22(Wed)4:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my cousin that first introduced me, I kept coldwater fish for the first 5 years, she used to take me out to fish shops everywhere and I just got into it more and more. Now I jsut pass her the fish off that I don't want, or don't get along with the rest of the tank mates. hehe Very Happy
Cichlid man.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.22(Wed)5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was when my dad got me a goldfish bowl. I didn't really like fish much and never thought I'll be keeping them now.
My bowl grow into a tank because we thought it was cruel keeping goldfish in a tiny bowl. Then after a few years I decided to add some white cloud mountain minnows to see if they will be OK but they got eaten. After that I decided to get something a little more interesting, a guy sold me some guppies for my coldwater 10g tank but they were listless and I found out they needed a heater so we got one.
The tank was getting a little crowded so we bought a 20g tank and then the tanks just started to multiply like ameiba(sp?). Laughing
DJ Mix
Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.22(Wed)11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya'll ready for this?

My son, now 4. His mother and/or I would regularly take him to a nearby creek and occasionally bring a few specimans home and keep them in a glass dish on the porch for a few days. We became very attatched to a certain set of six minnow-like fish we found later to be Mosquito fish. We decided to keep them around and bought them a 10g walmart kit along with a few friends. Tossed it all together and dropped in a few(12) unlucky souls. The poor oto only lasted 2 days(Some fish are gonna die, right?). One of the two corries died shortly there-after. The pleco(common), two cae's, six mosquito's, and one cory seemed to thrive (Except fer them dang "white spots"). It wasn't till 2 or 3 weeks later, when I wanted to know the best way to clean the tank, that I learned of a thing called a CYCLE! However, now I have successfully started a 55g.

THANK YOU, AquaHobby.
I couldn't have done it without ya'll!
Francheska
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.12.22(Wed)12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a cat person. Had a cat for several years and then got married.
Soon we realized that my husband is allergic to cats and I had to say goodbye to my kitty. She lives with my parents now and I see her from time to time.
When she disappeared from our apartment, I was inconsolable and my husband suggested aquarium fish. It came out that his grandparents had a fish tank when he was a boy.
I new nothing about this hobby, but the next day I went to the LFS and bough a 3g eclipse aquarium. We have a small apartment (like many people in NYC), so I thought this would suffice. It didn
Fish sticks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.22(Wed)15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom planted the love for animals and the fish thing early on in all of us (arent moms great?). I remember we used to have an aquarium (seemed huge back then but probly 20 gals?) she would take us to stores and we would pick out small guppy like fish (I remember them but still have no clue as to what they were) and watch them for hours calling each one by its name.

Well, I grew up with an affection for fish, and kept only bettas. Fish always seemed to cheer me up so whenever I was depressed my boyfriend would take me to his LFS and I'd watch the fish. Well, he went away to college for a semester (transfered out here) and I was going through a hard time while he was gone. So I did something I know now I shouldnt have done, I bought a tank and fish on a whim to cheer me up, it worked but after some deaths and interest I did some research and now I'm at where I am now.
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.12.22(Wed)16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went into an LFS with the intention of getting a 70L coldwater tank for some WCMM or similar. Bought a 70L tropical set-up instead, stocked it, realised there were lots of fab fish out there there who needed more tank space, donated the 70L to my mother-in-law (with inhabitants) and bought a 150L. Contracted MTS. Now have a 400L Rainbow set-up (see photos) the original 150L set up and a 120L puffer tank. Rapidly running out of living room but I'm sure a 350L cube aquarium would look great in the archway between living room and dining room....husband isn't so convinced....(dining room has no room for dining due to 400L tank, heehee)
Would LOVE to have a marine set-up once I've kept trops for a few more years. Very Happy
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.12.22(Wed)17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was young and my uncle still lived with my grandparents, he had what probably amounted to a thousand gallons worth of tanks setup in virtually their entire basement. He had almost everything. Tons of tanks highlighted by A 150g Oscar tank and some sort of gigantic freshwater eel. (My grandfather swears it was an electric, but I somehow doubt it. Does anyone know anything about these being kept by hobbyists? If you do, drop me a PM, I'm curious purely for the knowledge.).

They all lived about 3 miles away from my family, so as you can imagine, they were my babysitters. Boy, did they have it easy! Basically, all they had to do was take me downstairs, bring a magazine or a book, and make sure I didn't jam any of my bitty fingers into the tanks.

When I was six, the same uncle set me up with a ten gallon platy tank and a small tank with a pair of green newts (not sure which variety, haven't really looked into it) as an easter present. (side note- he worked at the lfs. I couldn't imagine the expense of his setup without the discount).

Suffice it to say, I was hooked.
FightTheGDFight
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.22(Wed)18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your responses. Thought this would be a well timed topic as we think of our family and friends this holiday season, as well as our fish. Keep them coming!
GothicAvatar96
Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.23(Thu)3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

same as you fight . my dad got me into aquariums when I was a little sprout . then he died when I was 14 and I've been a serious hobbyist since then .
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: