Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
This makes me sick :-(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.07(Mon)17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

benedictj, you've completely missed the scope of this topic, did you actually read the first post before replying? Wink

That comment has nothing to do with this discussion board, it was submitted to me by e-mail for inclusion in the Gallery section of the site.

Rest assured that nobody's being banned here on the board just because they don't keep fish the way we like it Wink
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.12(Sat)18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I don't think there are any laws in the UK as to some of the fish you can and can't keep, you can get snakeheads over here and I wouldn't advise anyone to keep them unless they are an experienced fishkeeper, I've heard these fish are banned in some parts of the US. I used to work in a fish shop, and I used my common sense, as to when and when not to sell someone a certain type of fish. Sadly the guy who supervised me didn't share the same views, of course this is a guy who keeps a Tropheus Dubiosi in a 4g tank with a bunch of Guppies. I used to get a guy who would come in about my age (I'm 21), and he would ask for fish he could put in his tank that his Tiger Tilipia could beat up! I was disgusted, and sold him nothing! (However my supervisor sold him a shoal of mollies for it to kill) Mad . I never really understood why we sold some fish like Tilipias. They would be bought at about 3", and be returned at anthing between 6-12" after killing other tank mates, or in one case giving an owner a seriously nasty bite! Luckily I don't work there any more. I feel there should be a laws introduced to stop certain types of animals being sold to people, unless they have a license or something.
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.17(Thu)8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos Avila wrote:
benedictj, you've completely missed the scope of this topic, did you actually read the first post before replying? Wink

That comment has nothing to do with this discussion board, it was submitted to me by e-mail for inclusion in the Gallery section of the site.

Rest assured that nobody's being banned here on the board just because they don't keep fish the way we like it Wink

Marcos , a little abrupt I would say !!!! Especially as you DO NOT make it clear in your first scope of the topic it was from an e-mail sent!!!

I would say that if you would not ban anyone from the net for voicing their opinions why get so upset about it then, obviously if you get upset , we do not want to se it either so banning them would be the best solution ????

Loving my waterbabies ! Are you ?
The Undertaker01
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that a person would do that. That is borderline sadistic Mad .
There should be a law in europe that prevents fish cruelty.
Some petstores will sell you anything. My LFS(petshop) told customers that fish grew as large as their tank allowed. I convinced them it was a myth so hopefully there will be no more people putting plecos in a 40 gallon.
My favourite fishes : Kribs, Angels, mbuna
The Kapenta Kid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little question.
I don't keep Bettas but I believe that they are what are called Siamese Fighting Fish.
Does that mean that the inhabitants of Thailand match them against one another for sport?
And if so, what do you all feel?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

siamese fighting fish fighting. wrong. they naturaly fight in the wild to ensure that the strongest goes on to breed. however when two of these little guys probably kept in bad conditions get thrown into a fish style boxing ring to entertain the crowd, thats plain wrong.

bettas or siamese fighting fish are the most wrongly treated tropical fish in the entire world. they sell these little containers with three bits to them so you can have 3 fish. sure they can see eachother and naturaly want to fight and will get tired and stressed but that dosent matter.
2 winged demons
The Undertaker01
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bettas are fought against each other in thailand. It's a sort of sport over there. They're put in a small tank, sometimes even a bowl and fought. Bets are taken on the fish. I think that's completely disgusting.
My favourite fishes : Kribs, Angels, mbuna
The Kapenta Kid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.13(Sun)19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I had really hoped that we might have had someone from Thailand to put their side of the argument. It appears to be cruel, but many things are cruel even in our society from the way that much of our food is raised to 'sports' such as boxing where we pit Negroes against one another to see which one can knock the other's brains out first.
Thais, I believe, are mostly Bhudddists, so they are hard to fault on animal cruelty questions compared to us. So who is in the right. Or more important, is there any right?
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.13(Sun)19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guy at work asked me the other day whether or not crowntail bettas were better fighters than the regular veil tail bettas. I couldn't believe it! Here this guy comes into a hobby shop to ask if we know which fish are better at killing one another. I don't understand people at times...

I think we should stick people like him into really small dirty rooms for months, and then chuck them in with a couple other people like them and make them fight each other.

Byez!! Very Happy
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.13(Sun)20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kapenta Kid wrote:
Thanks for the input. I had really hoped that we might have had someone from Thailand to put their side of the argument. It appears to be cruel, but many things are cruel even in our society from the way that much of our food is raised to 'sports' such as boxing where we pit Negroes against one another to see which one can knock the other's brains out first.
Thais, I believe, are mostly Bhudddists, so they are hard to fault on animal cruelty questions compared to us. So who is in the right. Or more important, is there any right?

Since when is boxing limited to negroes? I train with many boxers and I can vouch that it is a multi cultural sport.The difference between boxing is that humans have the ability to reason and fish don't. Plus in the wild while it is survival of the fittest a fish can still swim away and fight another day. A fish tank doesn't have that option. If a person doesn't want to step into the ring...they don't have to. Its a choice. Fighting fish isnt.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to: