Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
This makes me sick :-(
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)5:00    Post subject: This makes me sick :-( Reply with quote

Adding comments to the Cichlids section of the Gallery tends to be a rather unpleasant experience for me, because of all the comments people send in enthusiastically describing how Cichlid A gets beaten up by Cichlid B but holds his own against Cichlid C, who's killed Cichlid D that was twice his size and yada yada yada...argh! All this, of course usually going on in ridiculously small tanks like 30-55 G's.

But today a single-line comment really made me sick and I was one eye-roll away from deleting the entire Cichlid section Rolling Eyes

RODNEY wrote:
TRY A MANAGUENSE AND A RED DEVIL OF EQUAL SIZES FOR A NIGHT OF PURE ENTERTAINMENT.

I'm longing for the day when RODNEY types will start getting arrested just as they would if they had dogs, roosters, etc...
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

god thats almost as bad as that guy who wanted advice about male bettas as he and his friends fought them agianst eachother and various other fish like puffers. the problem is people don't see fish as important. there just fish as they say, that is the major problem. marcos he didn't happen to give his full name did he Twisted Evil ? anyway marcos I feel for you having to read those comments. I would feel really angry/sick after reading some of those things people write. I only hope that most of the time those comments are written by idiots just joking around.

andrew
2 winged demons
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually wish they were just joking around slackra, but that's definitely not the case. These years of experience with the Gallery have shown me that there's a very real sub-culture of fish "hobbyists" who absolutely enjoy putting aggressive Cichlids together just to see who's the meanest, who's the wimp, who's gonna survive for how long, and so on. And they enjoy it to the point of really wanting to share their stories with everyone else.

Here's another quick random example that didn't take me even a minute to find among the hundreds of submisions:

Richard wrote:
I recently dropped a four inch Jaguar into my tank and was a little
dissapointed. I expected, as I have heard & read, the the jaguar would take
over the tank and murder half of its inhabitants. Before he arrived the
tank hierarchy was as follows: Tank boss was a 7-8" Jack Dempsey, his right
hand man was a 4-5" Jewel, a pair of convicts, a female dempsey(passive),
and a female jewel(passive). The Dempsey is the boss but he is a
benevolent ruler. The Jewel is mean as hell but won't mess with the
dempsey. In fact, the convicts began breeding and the male covict picked
one to many fights with the jewel and lost his life. So, in goes the
jaguar. He immeadiatlely has attitude, but the dempsey, being considerably
larger, informs him that he will not be no. 1. Moving down the line, the
jaguar goes for the Jewel. Being the same size I feared this was it for the
jewel, but no, the jewel beat the daylights out of the Jaguar and he has
since settled into his role as the third toughest fish in that tank.

Richard

And yes, both of them sent me their full names and e-mails, but that doesn't mean anything. Unfortunately at the present nobody's going to get arrested or even get a warning for such things...
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)5:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly things like this will go on and on as I don't see any chance of an anti fish cruelty law or something like that. its up to lfses to try not to sell fish to people who they could suspect of this injustice.

andrew
2 winged demons
Cichlid man.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there should be a new law. All cental american and possibly other cichlids should have a lisence, and to get this lisence an inspection should be made of the tank to see if it's big enough for large cichlids.
This way, there won't be as many deaths as there were when people could just ask to buy cichlids with no questions asked.
I know it's wishful thinking and probably a stupid idea, but I wish that something could be done to stop cichlids and anobantids being sold to ignorant hands.
I think fish should have nearly the same rights as cats and mabey even dogs.
What do you think?
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, any state that has animal cruelty laws will investigate fish cruelty. If you can provide evidence to an animal cruelty investigator in the area where it's happening, they will get a court order to either seize the animals and/or issue a no pet order from the judge. That means they are not allowed to own animals of ANY kind. I was on another site and people were talking about this betta breeder who breeds fighters to fight and I contacted someone in that state who is contacting an animal cruelty investigator in IN. Which proves that even one person can tip the scales of justice against animal cruelty.

Animal cruelty laws cover every animal. Here's some info on IN state law which is pretty standard for all other states +/- a few laws here and there.

http://www.animalnetworkindiana.org/inlaws.htm#IC354633
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

so there are laws. but unlike other forms of cruelty fish cruelty is hard to find. its there but cloked in peoples houses. I think it would be wise to have a license thing in place. so that to have and keep cichlids you have to go through a basic training course and take a test.

andrew
2 winged demons
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but it would prolly cause problems with the fish industry. I'm on your side about the liscense thing, but working in an aquarium shop puts things in perspective. It's like the carnival goldfish; we don't like it, but shop owners do b/c it means people buying tanks and other things for their new pet (or week-long amusment).

It all comes down to money. It costs money to pay investigators, it costs money to train people who want to keep cichlids, and it's less money for the people who sell fish supplies (or who run the booth with the ping-pong goldfish).

Let's just hope that soon the mission statement will read "protection for our furred, feathered, and finned friends."

Byez! Very Happy
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.19(Sun)15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLACkra wrote:
so there are laws. but unlike other forms of cruelty fish cruelty is hard to find. its there but cloked in peoples houses. I think it would be wise to have a license thing in place. so that to have and keep cichlids you have to go through a basic training course and take a test.

andrew

Most animal cruelty happens in the house. All it takes is one report to the proper authorities to make it happen. If you go to someone's house and see it and report it, then justice can be done. The problem is many people just don't know who to contact to report abuse. Even abuse of other animals like reptiles and mammals.

Besides licenses are fine if the authorities regulated it and made sure people do things right. Look at driver's licensing. You are in a machine that has the potential to kill very easily, yet people constantly disrespect the law and violate everything they took tests for. I see police officers every day watch people blow through stop signs, red lights and speed way more over the limit than is acceptable and do absolutely nothing. Which makes people think they can get away with whatever they want.

Like I said all it takes is one person to do what's right.
The Kapenta Kid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.19(Sun)16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLACkra wrote:
I think it would be wise to have a license thing in place. so that to have and keep cichlids you have to go through a basic training course and take a test.

andrew

Are you serious. More licenses, more state control. More taxes to pay for the people who run the training courses and administer the test??
Gimme a break!!
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to: