Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Oscar aquarium size? Suitable tank mates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.28(Sun)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often do you do waterchanges? How much do you change and do you vaccum the gravel a lot? Hole in the head has been linked to poor waterquality which allows the parasite to burrow into the skin of the cichlid. What is the exact temperature as well. Feeding high quality foods and limiting feeders except as a treat and only by a source you trust will greatly decrease the risk of HITH aas well from what I've observed.
Balduron
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.29(Mon)5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not often enough from what I have read here, I guess that I am not as savvy as I once thought about fish and their care... I have seen a sig that said: "Are you a Fish-HAVER or a Fish-KEEPER?" I must confess that in the past I have been a fish-HAVER. So I have much work to do along these lines in the future so that my fish wil be more comfortable, free of illnesses and happier.

A friend of mine has a 20g I might buy from him to put the 2 convicts in, I think that they may be happier there.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.29(Mon)11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your temperature is also on the low side which may account for the listlessness since fish are cold blooded animals and lower temps kinda send them into a torpor like state. I would up the temp to 79-80 degrees and do decent sized waterchanges once a week. Oscars are awesome fish and hardy, but are also messy eaters and huge poopers and need extra attention in terms of water clarity. Smile
Balduron
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.29(Mon)20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Huntress, the temp is up to 78 and he is more active, but I am affraid that he does have HITH. I went to the desease topics and looked it up, and read Adam Dagna's article on the desease and have started implimenting his steps for curring the desease. He added a recipe for DIY food, I might try that also, but I will definetly solve the water condition problem and change the diet some to help in his health.
cyanoresp
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.15(Sat)16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will pictus catfish go with oscars? will an oscar harass an angel or common pleco?
The Undertaker01
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.20(Sun)18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an Oscar in a store display tank last friday.
Could you tell me the basics of oscar keeping?
My favourite fishes : Kribs, Angels, mbuna
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your last post you mentioned you only have a 100 litre tank which is overstocked...plus you keep african cichlids, and oscar would NOT get on with these fish as it is an american cichlid, would you be planning on a new tank? if so I would reccomed a 200 litre which is double the size of tank you have now, and that tank would only be able to house 1 oscar alone because oscars can reach to 12"-15" easy. I would seriously read up on these fish before even thinking of buying one because you WILL get very attched to this fish and you don't want to end up having to give it away or have it die when very young. I'm saying this because I have one and I love him so much and wiat hate to see anything bad happen to him.
The Undertaker01
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd intend to get a 55 gallon I saw last week(
My favourite fishes : Kribs, Angels, mbuna
gren
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I saw an Oscar in a store display tank last friday.
Could you tell me the basics of oscar keeping?

If you read this thread from jpage 1 to page 11 it will cover all of the basics of oscar keeping
Quote:
I'd intend to get a 55 gallon I saw last week(
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.22(Tue)8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, I totally agree!! they do grow fast, when I got mines I thought hm..maybe I should get another fish but now, 4 months later he grew for 1.5" to 5"!! thats fast for a fish I would say, I think he should be fully grown by the end of the year.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to: