Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Oscar aquarium size? Suitable tank mates?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brandon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.31(Mon)19:27    Post subject: FAQ: Oscar aquarium size? Suitable tank mates? Reply with quote

after my oscar and green terror fight I decided to move the green terror out of my red oscars aquarium. my lfs has had some big oscars for about 3 months now ,2 tigers, one 16" and one 14" in a 40 gallon. I want to get one for a tankmate for my oscar. on the 75 gallon aquarium there are 2 emperor 400's and every 2 week 30% water changes. the oscar in there now is about 10 inches and the one that I would like to get is about 14 inches long. so I was wondering could they stay in there for about 2 or 3 months until I have enough to buy a larger aquarium?
Severumdude
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.01(Tue)7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably get away with two in a 75 if they grew up together. You would have to do a lot of water changes. I would be concerned about putting two full grown strangers in together. The one you already have has probably already claimed the tank as his territory. If you put a new on it, they might fight quite a bit. I would think a while before adding another adult.
brandon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.01(Tue)18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that he had alredy claimed his territory since he tried to kill a newly introduced pleco. thanks for the reply. I don't think I am going to get it since they might not get along.
sstimac
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.03(Thu)13:56    Post subject: a tank mate for my oscar Reply with quote

I have a three month old oscar that's grown to nearly six inches, I think he might be lonely and I want to buy him a tank mate. I did some research and I was considering a jurupari earth eater. I know on average they don't reach the size of an oscar but I think that it would be a beautiful addition to the aquarium. does anyone have experience with earth eaters? would this be a good roommate situation? any other comments related would be appreciated. I just want horus to be happy. Very Happy
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.03(Thu)14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before we suggest any tankmates, what is the size of the tank your oscar is in? Once we know that we'll know how much room you have for more fish and suitable tankmate choices,
brandon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.03(Thu)16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tiger oscar thats about 13 inches in with a 5 inch jurapari and they get along just fine with no fighting. to keep these fish together you would need an aquarium of atleast 75 gallons.
Badfrog
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.03(Thu)23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that motion, you're going to need plenty of room for your Oscar, they routinely get to be 7-8 inches before they are 18 months old, and grow fast (at 1"-1.5" per month). 55g would probably be the minimum, and some people will tell you even that isn't enough room.

IME, When choosing tankmates, taller fish are better than longer fish, and Oscars adapt to tankmates better when younger -- after a certain point, they see anything added to the tank as food. If your guy is more than 4-5" or so, it's best to leave him alone, OR find a fish that's too tall for him to swallow.

I kept a 5" Juruapari (and silver dollars) in a 125g with my Oscar until he died (by floor) at around 7-8" with few problems, although both were regularly harrassed. I added the dollars when my guy was about 3" and the Juru when he was between 5 and 6 inches (after he ate a 4" clown loach!). Both the Juru and the dollars ate up the food the oscar missed and helped keep the tank reasonably clean.

The think with Juruparis is this: they like to sift and are happiest with at least part of the tank set aside to sand, and they are sensitive to nitrate.

Good luck!
Lynsey
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.12(Sat)20:37    Post subject: Help with Oscar tankmates. Reply with quote

Here is my setup:

75 gallon long (5 feet long x 1.5 feet wide X 16" tall):

1 Albino Oscar (10" including tail)
1 Blood Parrot (5" including tail)
1 Sunshine Pleco L-14 (8")
4 Silver Dollars
2 Fluval 404 canisters, 1 Maxi-jet 1200, weekly water changes. I have not tested my ammonia or nitrites in a while, but my nitrates are never above 10ppm.

I posted about a month ago about my Oscar chasing my BP around (they were fine together for a little over a year). There has been no damage, but my BP gets a little stressed out. I recently added the silver dollars and rearranged the tank hoping that would settle my Oscar down. It worked for about a month, and now I have seen my Oscar start chasing my BP again. I think I might have to take out my BP. Is there anything I can do to make them happy again? If not, and I take out my BP is there anything I can add to the tank? like maybe a firemouth? or convict? or any other type of non-cichlid. I know my tank is pretty full already, but I am very diligent with my tank upkeep. If not, I guess my Oscar will have to live solo.

Last edited by Lynsey on 2003.04.12(Sat)22:37; edited 1 time in total
Hydroponics
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.12(Sat)21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you do take out the blood parrot, convicts in my experience are usually good tankmates for oscars.

theyre quick (to get out of your O's way), somewhat aggressive, and grow to a good size.

goodluck
Lynsey
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.12(Sat)22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a medium sized Jack dempsey. I am concerned that it might be too aggressive for my Goldie/Sunshine Pleco (which is my favorite fish). Or do Jack usually leave plecos alone?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to: