Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Oscar aquarium size? Suitable tank mates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BelfiCat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.10(Sat)7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could cycle the tank by adding fish like zebra danios to it, then once it's cycled and you add your oscar he can have a feast, or maybe he'll leave them alone until he's bigger.
Dan H.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.10(Sat)13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could do a fishless cycle.
JasonGood
Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.10(Sat)14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Cichlids and Cichlids tanks and look at the post (Info on Oscars)

Here's a similar post ....There are some comments
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Doc Holiday
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.20(Tue)13:08    Post subject: Building a new home for the red oscar!! Reply with quote

We have just recently purchased an awesome little red oscar, he has taken over our 100l tank and kicked out some of the fish he didn't like (or just wanted for lunch) into our rather small 20l Betta tank.

We are getting a new home built for him and need some advice. The tanks dimensions will be 4 foot long, 2 foot high and 1 1/2 foot wide holding 329 litres. These dimensions are to fit our rimu buffet unit. We are getting a rimu lighthood made for it. It will have a large canister filter and a smaller internal filter (the oscars a little messy). His tank mates will be 2 blood parrots, a pleco and 2 clown loaches.

Will this tank be large enough? are there other things I should consider? and any suggestions on improving this setup would be greatly appreciated..
bohica
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.01.21(Wed)8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc, Sounds like the tank will be nice but inadequate for the grouping you have planned. Your talking roughly 89 gallons. The Oscar himself will need 55 gallons. He could grow as large as 14" The Blood parrots, while not a long fish (5 to 6") are quite robust when grown and require a fairly large amount of space as do the clowns at 10" each. I would house this grouping in no less than a 6" 125 gallon tank, a 180 would be better. I would also bump up the filtration (or be ready to do so) to a thousand GPH or so. Besides the size of your fish you also have to consider behaviour issues and eating habits.

It sounds like your getting ready to use a piece of nice furniture for your stand, if so keep in mind the weight of your tank once it's set up. I calculate a typical 89-90 gallon set up at around 820 to 850 pounds. Be careful!

For those interested water weighs in at a very rough 8.25 pounds per gallon, figure it at 9.25 and multiply times your capacity for a good approximation of your tanks weight when complete.

Good luck!

Bo
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.21(Wed)10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to add in the gravel rocks and other stuff in the tank too. Smile
bohica
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.01.21(Wed)15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntress, that's why I said figure the water at 9.25 pounds per gallon. Very Happy
It will cover the gravel, plants, deco rock, ornaments, etc... that way. Just easier for most people.

Bo
fripclaksid
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.08(Sun)10:15    Post subject: can I put a 2.5 inch oscar is a 10 gallon tank? Reply with quote

do you think I will be able to put a oscar thats about 2-3 inches in a 10 gallon tank? I will get a bigger tank as it gets a bit bigger what do you guys think?
liberaloscar
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.08(Sun)19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought an oscar I named Fred, and I am starting him out with 2 dojos and a pleco in a 30gal. how many inches should he be untill I put him in a 55 or 75gal. will I stun his growth if I let him get to big Question
liberaloscar
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.08(Sun)19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my first oscar in a 10 gallon and he didn't grow much. He was never very active and I never saw him eat much, he would always lay down on his side. then 1 day the heater broke and I didn't know it and I came home and he was dead. I would recomend itleast a 20gal. to start one off in.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to: