Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can I strangle my housemate? Please?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nephthys
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.16(Thu)4:23    Post subject: Can I strangle my housemate? Please? Reply with quote

Earlier this year, I "inherited" an empty aquarium from a friend and slowly started setting it up-- fishless cycled, planted densely, and about two months later added my first fish. The entire time this was going on, my housemate kept nagging me, "So, when are you gonna put some fish in there?". I patiently explained the cycling process, but it went in one ear and out the other. Once I finally started adding fish (I now have 3 ottos, 4 cherry barbs, and a pair of blue rams), he complained about how "boring" the fish I chose were and how I should have gotten "way more".

So last week he comes home with a 15-gal of his own and sets it up in his room. I have to give him credit for at least borrowing gravel and filter media from a friend's tank, but from that point on, it went downhill. He started off with three guppies, which seemed fine, but then a couple of days later he came home with a male betta and two female bettas, three kuhli loaches, two Amano shrimp, three guppies, one swordtail, and three Columbian shark catfish. All at once. He wants to add still more, since "the guy at the pet store told me I could easily put twenty or thirty fish in there". I tried explaining to him that his tank was already overcrowded and that the catfish would get enormous and start eating the rest of the fish soon, not to mention their different water requirements, but he just kept insisting that the LFS guy knew what he was talking about. I don't want to be rude and play the know-it-all, but I'm concerned for the poor fish! All the more so because I know this was all just a lark for my housemate and that the fish will get boring soon-- already he's been talking about what a pain it is to do water changes.

Sometimes I just want to scream. Mad

Last edited by Nephthys on 2004.12.18(Sat)5:52; edited 1 time in total
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.16(Thu)6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't kill him but just keep telling him that. and eventually somthing will go wrong with his tank and you can go "I TOLD YOU SO!" and you can bag him for hours about how dumb he is and how smart you are. and you waited 2 months for your freshwater tank you cycle? it only takes a week saltwater is 6-8weeks. and with heavily planting it would have been fine to add your first fish right after you added your plants. anyways try to get as many peoples opinions about this from the web and print them off. you could go OK well these ten people who all have fish tanks say your tank is heading for disaster.

andrew
2 winged demons
Doosharm
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.16(Thu)12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would do is keep telling him how horrible it is to do maintenance and really make him want to get out of the hobby (If he refuses to learn how to do things properly he shouldn't be in the hobby in the first place). Then just say that you'd be glad to take care of the tank for him. At that point you can take a bunch of the fish back to the LFS (and smack the guy that sold them in the first place) and then bring the tank down to normal stocking limits. Maybe at that point your roommate can see the difference that a normal stock can make?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.16(Thu)17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I say just keep on mentioning it when he talks about the fish. If he for whatever reason gives up don't let that extra tank escape!
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.17(Fri)10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

find somewhere that has the larger fish full grown.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.17(Fri)13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with irons. if your lfs has a tank for all the ones that have outgrown peoples setups go show em that. I did that when my buddy told me to get a clown knife fish when I first started my 29 gallon tank. the thing is almost 2 feet long and it still has growing to do Smile
Nephthys
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLACkra wrote:
and you waited 2 months for your freshwater tank you cycle? it only takes a week saltwater is 6-8weeks. and with heavily planting it would have been fine to add your first fish right after you added your plants.

It actually only took about 3 weeks to fishless cycle, but the time between getting the aquarium, cleaning it thoroughly, preparing the substrate, boiling the driftwood, and letting the plants grow in a bit (I wanted to make sure they were thriving before adding fish, since otherwise there's no benefit to having plants in there) was about two months. I probably could've done it faster, but I wanted to make absolutely sure that everything went well. I also bought a new filter after I'd already started (the old one I inherited was really cruddy), so that set things back a bit. But I'm glad I took it slowly-- thus far, all the fish are healthy and brightly-colored, the plants are doing great, and the only real algae trouble I had was a diatom explosion right as the cycle was finishing.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)5:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky you I am dismantling my 32g tropical because of some nice green slime aglae which annoys greatly and I would rather have a larger saltwater. (I want a trigger) still I think you should continuously give them the old "your fish will be happier and healthier if..." stuff and the old I told you so when a fish dies or something goes wrong can help. I also agree if they dump the hobby take advatange of the situation and get there tank!

andrew
2 winged demons
Nephthys
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried showing him pictures of the catfish all grown out, but he insists they're a different kind (they're not, of course). I also told him how I had made the very same mistakes (overstocking, impulse-buying, incompatible fish) when I first started out in the hobby and how it had ended up badly. He seems a little concerned now, but not concerned enough to take the fish back, unfortunately-- his attitude now is, "well, we'll see what happens." Indeed we will! Confused

He did take me seriously, however, when I told him to avoid the nearby LFS (a chain store) like the plague and go to the shop I use, which is quite a bit further away but is run by a REALLY helpful guy who knows his stuff and always has gorgeous, healthy stock. Maybe talking with the owner there will straighten him out, as I obviously don't have enough "authority" on the subject in his eyes. I hope for the sake of the fish that he learns his lesson, but at least like you guys said, maybe I will score a free tank out of it if things go badly.... Wink
Nephthys
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLACkra wrote:
lucky you I am dismantling my 32g tropical because of some nice green slime aglae which annoys greatly

Hehe, I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop... Things seem fine in my aquarium right now, but they never stay that way for long-- certainly not if I go around tempting fate by talking about how happy and healthy all my fish and plants are! Wink

Sorry to hear about your algae issues-- I had a problem with blue-green algae in one of my old tanks and never really got rid of it completely, though boiling all the wood and rocks helped. That stuff is nasty!
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: