Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lionhead Orandas With Blood In Fins
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raichu
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.10(Fri)1:15    Post subject: Lionhead Orandas With Blood In Fins Reply with quote

We have 4 jumbo lionhead orandas in a 180 litre tank with fine coral sand on the bottom. We have checked all of the water parameters and our findings are as follows - pH stable at 7.4, no ammonia, a very low level of nitrite, KH and gH stable. The four orandas have blood in their fins particularly in their tail fins and they are all crowding at the surface of the water in the far left corner of the tank. They also have red blood spots underneath their bodies. As of this morning one of the orandas also has bubble eye on its left eye. We have put at least 1 metric cup of salt in the water and our local aqaurium guy recommended we use Promethyasul. We cleared the tank of carbon, did a 25% water change with prepared water and then administered the Promethyasul as per instructions. We have also increased the oxygenation/aeration of the tank. The fish are no better yet they are still eating albeit not as much. We are at a complete loss as to what to do. If there is anyone that has some suggestions we would be most grateful. Hope to hear from someone soon, Raichu. Crying or Very sad
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.10(Fri)8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often do you do waterchanges on the tank? It sounds exactly like hemorrhagic septicemia which is extremely common in goldfish tanks that are overcrowded. While you only have 4 of them, goldfish produce a much higher amount of ammonia than other aquarium fish. The fact that you have any nitrite at all means that your ammonia converting bacteria colony is dying off. What is your Nitrate level? To cure this you need to do massive waterchanges for the next week or so, feed sparingly, and I mean sparingly, like once every 2-3 days. A good broad spectrum antibiotic will help as well.

Every single one of these symptomes are the result of poor waterquality and a tank the size you have with the ammount of fish in it must have waterchanges every week of at least 50%. Otherwise they are swimming in their own feces and urine. They are basically swimming in their own toilet.

Here's a link for you. HTH
http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#Septicemia
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.10(Fri)12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you, Huntress, about preventative measures for next time, but the only hope for these fish is immediate broad-spectrum antibiotics...I know you mentioned that, just wanted to emphasize.
You antibiotics, NOT an antiseptic like Melafix or anything like that. I would use 2 in tandem..Maracyn 1 and 2, or Penicillin and Tetracycline.
raichu
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.10(Fri)21:30    Post subject: Thank you for the great advice Reply with quote

Dear Huntress and SherryNE,
Thank you for the great advice. We have been doing a 50% water change every 4 weeks and a 25% change every week. We have a nitriie test kit but I am about to go out and buy a nitrAte test kit. Since my last post we have also increased the salt in the water to 0.3% concentration and we will buy a broad spectrum medication like the ones recommended. Once again thank you for the advice. Hopefully we will be able to save these beautiful fish. Raichu Smile
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this the same thing that has infected this oranda?
http://www.sharemation.com/rijac1970/tankrcap.jpg

Last edited by rijac on 2004.12.19(Sun)13:25; edited 4 times in total
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately I'm not allowed to look at that page and you can't remotely link to the photo, so we can't really tell.
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry.. the website is having a bandwith capacity problem... it will show up later I think... in the meantime I might just go and sign up for one of those other sites marcos posted... sorry.. if it doensnt clear up soon I'll edit with a new link... Rolling Eyes thats technology for you...

EDITED with a new link.
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.19(Sun)13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

rijac wrote:
sorry.. the website is having a bandwith capacity problem... it will show up later I think... in the meantime I might just go and sign up for one of those other sites marcos posted... sorry.. if it doensnt clear up soon I'll edit with a new link... Rolling Eyes thats technology for you...

EDITED with a new link.

http://www.sharemation.com/rijac1970/tankrcap.jpg

Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.19(Sun)15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

that does look like the beginning of said problem. I would post your tank stats and water params to better help.
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.20(Mon)4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

actuallly I just wanted to confirm the symptoms.. because other than that they are behaving normally no other signs of stress..

I know why its happening.. these are the 4 orandas that have been 'squatting' in my 23 gallon with 10 neons, 3 (err now 2) corys... a sae, an otto and 7 yamato shrimp for the last 2 months... I have been trying to find them a new home.. almost put them in a friends pond but I found out he has a visiting 'kingfisher' and they might just be lunch so I held on... now my wife gave birth a month ago and I've been slacking on the maintenance... so they are paying the price... sigh... I have gotten someone to take two but only next week so in the meantime I'm doing 50% changes every other day and feeding once every other day.... my bio filters are good but four of em are a big load....
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: